Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Alaska....a few questions.

Hi Josh, great story and a good looking car. I’m sure it holds some interesting adventures with more to come.

As far as the seats, +1 on originals. You should have no problem finding a pair. For 66, the driver’s seat should be non-locking while the passenger seat should lock. If you want to get particular, each hinge has a date stamp in ink on the inside upright. Many threads on this topic.

The Solex’s are more desirable from an originality standpoint and you will want to keep them for sure. However, if you plan on driving a lot, your Dad is right, you may want to swap them for some Webers or better, a set of PMO’s. Porsche swapped their Solexs for some Webers in Jan 1965 and it seemed to work out well in the Monte Carlo Rally driving 055.

Have fun with it, make it your own…. What's the story with the missing hood crest?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jsottile View Post
    Hi Josh, great story and a good looking car. I’m sure it holds some interesting adventures with more to come.

As far as the seats, +1 on originals. You should have no problem finding a pair. For 66, the driver’s seat should be non-locking while the passenger seat should lock. If you want to get particular, each hinge has a date stamp in ink on the inside upright. Many threads on this topic.

The Solex’s are more desirable from an originality standpoint and you will want to keep them for sure. However, if you plan on driving a lot, your Dad is right, you may want to swap them for some Webers or better, a set of PMO’s. Porsche swapped their Solexs for some Webers in Jan 1965 and it seemed to work out well in the Monte Carlo Rally driving 055.

Have fun with it, make it your own…. What's the story with the missing hood crest?

Jay
    Thank you for that info Jay, especially the Solex/Weber info. Not sure what the story is with the missing crest, I'll have to ask my dad.
    Last edited by Alaskan911; 03-04-2017 at 12:16 AM.

"Porsche swapped their Solexs for some Webers in Jan 1965 and it seemed to work out well in the Monte Carlo Rally driving 055."
    ALready testing Weber for Solex replacements in Jan of 65?

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    ALready testing Weber for Solex replacements in Jan of 65?
    Yes they were. 300055, Signal Red, Monte Carlo Rally car. Factory prepped in 1964 for the January 1965 Rally event. Drivers Linge and Falk. Special engine, 160hp, Weber carbs, LSD and special geared transmission. Finished 2nd in class (first was the 904) fifth overall from 273 entries. At the time, Porsche knew they needed to do better than the current Solex set-up but were committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan911 View Post
    Haha, not that I know of. I think he was more on the hippieish side of things. Why do ya ask if ya don't mind me asking?

(I did see the Nuge play in Omaha about 16 years ago, that guy sure can play the guitar)
    Ted always brings his own speakers to enhance the ones that are provided, your Dads car looks like he has some gigantic speakers on the back shelf. He graduated from my High School here in Arlington Heights<IL in 1967, just prior to releasing "Journey to the Center of the Mind" in 1968.

Original seats show up on the Samba sometimes here is the link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsottile View Post
    Yes they were. 300055, Signal Red, Monte Carlo Rally car. Factory prepped in 1964 for the January 1965 Rally event. Drivers Linge and Falk. Special engine, 160hp, Weber carbs, LSD and special geared transmission. Finished 2nd in class (first was the 904) fifth overall from 273 entries. At the time, Porsche knew they needed to do better than the current Solex set-up but were committed.
    I had no Idea it was that early Thanks for the tidbit o info

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Ted always brings his own speakers to enhance the ones that are provided, your Dads car looks like he has some gigantic speakers on the back shelf. He graduated from my High School here in Arlington Heights<IL in 1967, just prior to releasing "Journey to the Center of the Mind" in 1968.

Original seats show up on the Samba sometimes here is the link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php
    Ah gotcha, that makes sense. And yea, there are some speakers sitting there. I know they need to go, but one thing at a time I guess.

Banned
    Welcome Josh. Great story and it looks like a wonderful car.

One might assume that your dad's Weber wish never materialized because his spending priorities were dedicated to more important things. Call that one a blessing.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks.

Just a quick update on a few things I learned about the carburetor situation after talking with my father. The car actually has Webers on it currently, and for whatever reason he thinks he needs a better set. At one time he had two set's of Webers, one set of which was his favorite set but unfortunately stolen by an unscrupulous coworker many year ago. I then inquired about the Solex carbs, which in turn prompted a search of the garage, and eventually produced a box with the Solex Carbs and the original air cleaner.

It was a bit of relief to find the those solex and know they were still with the car and appear to be good candidates to be rebuilt. I also came across the wood steering wheel and quite a few other parts, although I am not sure if the wheel can be saved or not.

Anyway, was a good day as I learned a bit more about his car and found some parts. I appreciate you guys bearing with me as I am a neophyte with all of this, but I have found it extremely interesting learning about these cars, their history, and specifically the history of my father's 911.

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Beautiful car on the outside. Does it have a lot of rust? Is this Polo Red original? THe tag on the inside of the driver door will have the vin number and the paint code. Car is worth some duckets!
    trd, apologies, somehow I missed your post earlier. To answer, nah, not the original color, dad just always wanted a red Porsche so that's what we went with. We really didn't know any better when it was painted that the original color would be the way to go. Rookie move, but live and learn right. As far as rust goes, I don't believe there any significant issues. I am sure if I dig into it there would be rust to repair to make it right, but car has been stored in a garage since mid 80's, so all in all it's not too bad. I know eventually down the road I'd like to get it back to being as close to original as possible and have the metal fixed correctly, but a complete restoration like that is probably not in the immediate plans.

For now, I'd just like to start getting all the parts together that I am missing, continue learning as much as I can about this car and early 911's in general, and enjoy the car how it is for a while.