Thread: Loss of Bill Jones

member #1515

Loss of Bill Jones

Don't know if anyone has posted, Bill Jones, Bob's father passed away Monday.
    He was one of the first Porsche enthusiasts and experts, starting in the fifties. What he didn't know about 356 and 911 Porsches would fit on a postcard.
    He restored many award winning cars and also worked on a couple of Indy winners.
    He hosted many of the Warbonnet conferences.
    Apart from his work, he was one of the finest individuals I have had the pleasure to know.
    He arranged a Weisach visit for my son and I, hosted by non other than Hans Metzger. An unforgettable lunch with him afterwards.
    A real loss for our community. I know he had many, many friends among us.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

David, Thank you for posting this as I was not aware of Bill's passing. Although i did not get to know Bill, I had the good fortune to use Jones Autowerks' services over the years. It is comforting to know that he shared his vast knowledge of Porsches with Bob and Kathy Jones, and with others of his talented shop crew.

Yes David, got the call yesterday, first met Bill in 73 at his dealership, spent an hour out of his busy day to talk with me,,,,every meeting after that was the same, always the gentleman and always eager to answer your question. I'm glad he had a long and full life.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes, Bill was a great guy to know......
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

Bob, I'm sorry for your loss. Bill definitely one of the best in this Porsche family. We traded a lot of Carrera stories as well as a few Carrera parts. He visited me and my wife at our home in Salt Lake City in the 80s a wonderful and gracious man.

Bill Jones was one of the best. Last of the good guys. If anyone has every read any Upfixin' Der Porsche you will recall seeing his name a lot.

Here's a link from Pelican. BTW; The Speedster in the photos is one of the best I've ever seen. (The hides were from The King Ranch cattle and were baseball glove quality.)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...autowerks.html
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

RIP, Bill, a fine, fine gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Don't know if anyone has posted, Bill Jones, Bob's father passed away Monday.
    He was one of the first Porsche enthusiasts and experts, starting in the fifties. What he didn't know about 356 and 911 Porsches would fit on a postcard.
    He restored many award winning cars and also worked on a couple of Indy winners.
    He hosted many of the Warbonnet conferences.
    Apart from his work, he was one of the finest individuals I have had the pleasure to know.
    He arranged a Weisach visit for my son and I, hosted by non other than Hans Metzger. An unforgettable lunch with him afterwards.
    A real loss for our community. I know he had many, many friends among us.

Bill Jones had been there and done that.

http://www.radiusnation.net/past-fea...intage-racing/

http://www.xs650.com/media/a-friend-...builder.14442/

In the old school staple, Upfixin' Der Porsche, he will be found him in numerous articles and Tech Session events. A guy who could build an Offenhauser or Porsche engine was as rare bird indeed.

Here's a card from his service which sums things up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

A very nice man was Mr. Jones. Happy to spend time even with a novice 356 owner and share stories about his Indy crew chief days - incredible. I took my 64 SC coupe to his shop when I lived just up the road in Austin. He was still building Offenhauser engines last time I was there about 3 years ago. Top notch work at Jones Autowerks in San Antonio. Condolences to Bob and the family.

Vaya con Dios amigo.