Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my 911 road trip to Monterey

Don't know if you have time, but if you can get to Yosemite, you'll be very happy you did.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    If you get the opportunity, see Bruce Canepa shop in Scott's Valley, north of Monterey. It's a wow stop.
    Canepa has an "open house" through Classic Car Week. They usually don't announce it till a few weeks ahead, but they're open anyway so "open house" isn't much different.

Canepa usually hosts a monthly Cars and Coffee event which lands the Saturday before the big weekend (Motorsports Reunion & Pebble Beach).

If you travel up to Canepa, consider Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing on your way back to Monterey.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Kris,

Send a PM to Scott Hansen. He has a killer driving route to Monty. He can help you modify it from MN. Maybe Aaron can be persuaded to be your wing man.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Roger that Brian. Happy to help with an unforgettable route west. I second that Aaron should join him.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    man, you guys are awesome. A lot to digest here. I was going to reply to everyone individually but there's too much to take in. I plan on taking the northern route and then coming down through Montana. I just imagine a bit less traffic? I havent booked a place to stay yet as I just dont have the spare money till I get paid for some other jobs I'm working on. Worst comes to worst, I'll camp.

I'd love to have Aaron along, but I think I already have my copilot sorted out.

I also need a taller 5th gear...
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 03-19-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

You can camp at my house. From MN I would definitely go through MT. If you can't ship your car to Austria not to worry we have the most beautiful road in America, the Beartooth Highway. I have driven the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Beartooth. The Beartooth is the one. PM if interested in details through the northern Rockies to JH then to Cali. I can suggest some spectacular drives west.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post
    I haven't booked a place to stay yet as I just dont have the spare money till I get paid for some other jobs I'm working on. Worst comes to worst, I'll camp.
    Hotel reservations are free (unless maybe you forget to cancel and don't show up). The longer you wait, the fewer your choices.

There are campsites at Laguna Seca but I've heard they're among the first classic car week accommodations to sell out. I could be wrong and it doesn't hurt to ask them.

You're in for sticker shock if you haven't yet checked on hotels. Many people are furious at paying a couple thousand for a week in 2 star accomodations but you can remember that:
    • You won't spend much time in your room,
    • You'd spend more on a one-week cruise and you'd never dock at classic car week,
    • If the Monterey Peninsula hotels didn't make big money for events like Classic Car Week there would be fewer hotels and you'd have no place to stay.

There's a Monterey Peninsula outfit that can help find rooms: Resort 2 Me. Websites like Kayak can help, too.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

If it helps any, here are the Classic Car Week events from my PCA Region's calendar. TBD means it went on last year but hasn't yet been confirmed for 2017.

Last edited by NeunElf; 03-19-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

We Can Be Heroes