Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my 911 road trip to Monterey

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

Help me plan my 911 road trip to Monterey

So, I'm planning on driving out to Monterey for the Historics and surrounding festivities. I hope to be there tue/wed-monday. I've got a shoot planned at the race there, and have to visit a shop for the same shoot, but really dont have much going on otherwise. I have never been, and am looking for input not only on the trip and drive out there from Minnesota, but being there for a week or so as well. Whats going on? What should I not miss? Who wants to get a beer?

I've taken a few long road trips in the 911 before. But nothing 30+ hours... Anyways, thoughts appreciated!
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Thumbs up

Kris,

If you were driving from the south up, I'd hook'ya up with a lot of fine driving roads... still G16 in either direction is not to be missed...

Also the Thursday afternoon into the late night (before the race weekend) at the Baja Cantina (in the Carmel Valley) is THE meeting place for 'everyone'..........

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 03-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Concours on the Avenue, Tuesday preceding the big weekend is many people's favorite part of car week. Getting stuck in traffic with a bunch of Lambos is always fun, too.

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Concours on the Avenue, Tuesday preceding the big weekend is many people's favorite part of car week.
    +1

Not to be missed. I think concours is a four-letter word, generally speaking, but judge at that one just because I want to see it stick around. A car show with cool cars parked on the street. Just imagine it.

If your near Pebble Beach at anytime Do the Historic 17 mile Drive from Pebble to Carmel Way cool and boat loads of race history.
    Between there and Minnesota I am pretty sure you can catch the worlds largest spatula and the worlds largest ball of string.

Seriously we would need to know your projected route across country for any more insight. THere are so many ways you could go. Grand Canyon ,Yosemite ,Carson Valley , Seattle?, route 66? wander up and down and all around?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post
    So, I'm planning on driving out to Monterey for the Historics and surrounding festivities. I hope to be there tue/wed-monday. I've got a shoot planned at the race there, and have to visit a shop for the same shoot, but really dont have much going on otherwise. I have never been, and am looking for input not only on the trip and drive out there from Minnesota, but being there for a week or so as well. Whats going on? What should I not miss? Who wants to get a beer?

I've taken a few long road trips in the 911 before. But nothing 30+ hours... Anyways, thoughts appreciated!
    FIRST: make your hotel reservations ASAP if you haven't already done so. Some hotels will still have rooms for a while but some have been sold out for a while.

I urge you to get there not later than Monday so you can take in Concours on the Avenue. It's one of the best events and the Hotels don't raise there rates all the way to the max that early in the week. If you're driving 2/3 of the way across the country you might consider the Monterey Pre-Reunion, too.

Planning a trip from Minnesota to Monterey has so many possible routes I'm not sure how much help we can be. You might want to think about US 50, "America's Loneliest Road" see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada. I've heard that there are "lonelier" roads but I've driven 50 and you probably could lie down in the road for a nap.

G16 aka Carmel Valley Road is interesting--I drove it once in my 356 (at night). At night, it's kind of like driving through a pinball machine. In daylight it should be a good drive but it might be too much at the end of your journey.

Pacific Coast Highway is one of America's greatest drives. Right now, portions of it south of Carmel-by-the-Sea are closed thanks to a landslide. By all means, try to fit some of it in.

If you want to swing south to LA, here's as much of my favorite route as Google will let me map out with the Pacific Coast Highway closure: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+...35.7814021!3e0
    Last edited by NeunElf; 03-16-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Alert!!!

HWY 1 is closed completely and indefinitely 1/4 mile North of Sycamore Canyon Road, just near the Big Sur ranger station.

So...you can't get to Carmel/Monterey from South on Hwy 1!

Caltrans is estimating 9 months to completely demolish and rebuild the bridge there.

You can get down to Rocky Point, a great restaurant on the water with a killer view, from Carmel....the closure is South of that.

Forget Ventana, Post Ranch, and Nepenthe. They are completely cut off from the North.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Alert!!!

HWY 1 is closed completely and indefinitely 1/4 mile North of Sycamore Canyon Road, just near the Big Sur ranger station.

So...you can't get to Carmel/Monterey from South on Hwy 1!

Caltrans is estimating 9 months to completely demolish and rebuild the bridge there.
    Bummer. I knew about the closing but I'd hoped it would be enough of a priority to be fixed by August. Then again, this is California so a road repair in nine months might be top priority.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    If you get the opportunity, see Bruce Canepa shop in Scott's Valley, north of Monterey. It's a wow stop.

HWY 1, being major tourist attraction, does get priority!

If you know that bridge and that area it's a MAJOR project. This week they were having trouble getting a crane down there with a big enough wrecking ball. They ended up getting the crane, but the safety mechanism on the crane would not let them drop the ball fast enough to create enough force to break up the concrete. They cannot swing the ball as normal for demolition because of the canyon and trees. They had to get an engineer from the crane company to over ride the safety so they could free fall the 6000 lb. ball!

They are on the clock for sure as there are several major businesses down there with no revenue from the North and minimal from the South as there's no turn around for 100s of miles. Never mind the people that live down there.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series