Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my 911 road trip to Monterey

East Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Roger that Brian. Happy to help with an unforgettable route west. I second that Aaron should join him.
    Kris,
    Have fun and +1 on Scott's route's out west. Take him up if he offers, you won't regret it...Used a few on our trip and the roads are still burned into my memory..
    Enjoy

OG3
    RG715

If you visit Carmel, a popular spot, a shortcut to Ocean Ave, the main drag, is to take a right on Carpenter St off Cabrillo Hwy as the intersection of Ocean and Cabrillo gets backed up. Enjoy!
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Mike, I think he is doing the northern route, so will miss those that we did. Bummer... Did you do that run on 120 from Benton Springs to Mono Lake? That is some of the best asphalt I have been on.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

East Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Mike, I think he is doing the northern route, so will miss those that we did. Bummer... Did you do that run on 120 from Benton Springs to Mono Lake? That is some of the best asphalt I have been on.
    Scott,
    Yes...hands down 120 is one of the best roads that I have ever driven..
    Hopefully doing the northern route west to east next month with a stop in Chi-town(I will be in touch)
    Kris, route out the best roads you can and drive that pig
    I can you tell when we arrived at Rennsport we wanted to turn around and just drive back...
    The routes made the journey...

OG3
    RG715

The LeMons car show (see Jim's post above) is free and is a fun break from the ultra high end cars that are everywhere
    If you've never done Pebble - I would recommend it at least once (expensive but quite an experience) and definitely head down highway 1 and find a good spot to watch the Pebble beach cars on their tour (assuming the route is the same despite the road closure at Pfieffer bridge - we'll be there in April for the Big Sur marathon to survey the damage) Thursday morning.
    Werks Reunion (obviously) and long days at the track! (I recommend a chair and a big hat - it gets hot out there). If you can get tickets, the Quail is always impressive (if you can't get tickets, you can park on the canyon road between Laguna Seca and the Quail and see the parade of cars as they drive over. One year they had probably 40 early Bugattis - very cool to see those cars racing through the hills).
    The weekend is hotel hell - everything is booked and crazy $$$.

deluxeco
    If you do come West on 120 and you opt to cross the Sierras through Yosemite National Park, you might give some thought to timing your entry to avoid the Summer time tourist crowds. On busy weekends you can sit in traffic for about an hour or so to get through the East gate and there are no particularly convenient alternatives (highway 108 to the North is a good drive across the Sierras but it's more than a bit of a detour if you're already on 120). Also, driving through the park on busy days is usually pretty slow going. It is spectacular country, and very much worth seeing if you're coming through the area, but I find that the less traffic there is, the more enjoyable it is... besides, you'll sit in enough traffic in Monterey once you get there....
    Ian Smith
    ES # 1523
    Skateboards
    Bicycles
    Motorcycles
    Truck
    Carrera

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Well gents, looks like i'm going to ship the car out, and then drive home. I'll be arriving August 10th. Anyone going to the werks reunion?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Kris. I arrive on the 10th as well into Carmel. I will be planning some spirited runs around the area. Pm me for more info. Thanks. Tate
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

depending on how you go, i will be rolling from Scottsdale through Needles, Barstow, Tehacipi and then somewhere starting the 8/12. Thinking of going up the east side of the Sierra or seeing Lake Isabella. Be happy to hook up and roll together.

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044