Thread: Help needed on special windshield washer bottle tank

Help needed on special windshield washer bottle tank

Hi

I'm looking for a special windshield washer bottle tank which was used on the 1978 Safari Porsche.

Does someone has an idea which tank they have used for it.

According to the specification which I have got the tank holds 16l = 4,23 gal.

Thanks for your help

Andreas

WINDSHIELD WASHER BOTTLE TANK.JPG
    Member # 3533

Porsche tractor 218S
    Porsche 911SC 1978
    Porsche 911SC 1983
    Porsche 930 turbo cabrio 1989
    Porsche 996 2001

Sorry, no answer to your question, but, a few comments

Which kind of machine would need a 16l water tank?

It does not look like a water cooled engine water tank (I may be wrong)

From your picture, it seems that it has a grainy finish

Last thing, the steel bracket on the bottom of the picture seems to be "blended" in the tank.

I bet it's made of fiberglass or something similar, specially for this car....

Olivier.

My guess it's for a Safari car, bigger capacity for long distance, mud/dust projections (see the offroad spare tire) ;-)

Not sure if relevant but various tanks in 911360 0285 1972 on of the factory built safari car which appear to give reserve washer capacity beyond stock.
    image.jpeg

Picture below is a factory 78 (driven by Waldegård) safari rally car taken when a the owner and I were having a cuppa' at the Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Park near Epsom Surrey en route from that years' Goodwood Festival of Speed to the Silverstone Grand Prix. (The previous weekend this 911 had done laps on the forest circuit that Lord March has established in his grounds specifically to demo vintage rally cars during the FOS event).

Unfortunately with regard to OP question on washer tank I didn't take any of shots under the lid as owner had his belongings there

image.jpg

Regarding that day we hooked up with my friend, the late Peter Foubister, who for decades the leading light of Autosport magazine and a senior executive of Haymarket Publishing, latterly he ran all the motoring activities of our club, the RAC. Peter based himself in Woodcote the RAC's "country club" near Epsom, rather than at the RAC's more famous central London clubhouse in Pall Mall, St James. (F1 followers might recognise that Woodcote Corner and indeed Club Corner at Silverstone Circuit both get their names because the RAC were the governing body of Motorsport in UK and the club has been the home of "things motoring" in the UK ever since cars existed)

When I called Peter that day to let him know I would be would be bringing a guest to Woodcote Clubhouse in a factory 911 rally car he arranged for us to take a some snaps with car in this front of clubhouse location near the fountain -- which is usually strictly off limits for parking. On arrival he must have heard the 911 engine coming down the long drive and was down from his office like a shot. Unsurprising for those who know that on his way to holding top Autosport jobs his career started as Rally Desk editor in early 80s -- rallying was one of his loves-- hence my call to him that day as I knew he more than most would appreciate the unexpected arrival of factory original rally 911.

Lovely summer weather, the three of us took afternoon tea on the fountain terrace with this old rally car sitting in the background. The very enthusiastic and knowledgable Peter recounting stories of the many famous international and local rallies he had covered during his long and successful career at Autosport/ Haymarket. Sadly Foubie passed away unexpectedly last year and is much missed in Motorsport circles. Here is his obituary:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127192

For racing fans of the four legged variety, The Captain's Drive small road in the background wends its way directly to the Epsom Downs where a back gate opens directly to famous Epsom "Derby" racecourse.

Woodcote was also the scene of a downed Hurricane fighter during WWII in 1940 as commemorated in this picture below and furniture in the Huricaine Bar that made from parts of an old 'plane. A bar where I've hosted some my early 911 pals from DDK on occasion.
    image.jpeg

Apologies to OP for these little deviations down memory lane but the mention of '78 911 Safari rally car set off my recollection of a good time with friends -- something that only happened because of a Porsche 911 and a shared interest in Motorsport.

If I speak with the chap who I believe still owns this '78 factory rally car I'll ask if he has a picture of the tank in his car.

Steve

P.S. Below a different tank in 911360 0285 1972 factory rally car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-21-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks for your answers.

Yes this water tank was used on the 1978 911 Safari Rally Porsche (Nr. 5 driven by Björn Waldegård and Nr. 14 driven by Vic Preston).
    I'm not sure if this special tank was only made for these cars.

Porsche has maybe used a tank from any other vehicle while a lot of the parts which are installed on these 911's (e.g. Voltmeter from a 924, Handles from the 928 etc.) where used from other cars.

So I thought maybe someone can identify this water tank

Olivier is probably right, they might have used a tank where they have cut off the bottom and closed it with fiberglass or something similar (see the new photo which I got yesterday)

Andreas

dsc03022.jpg
    Member # 3533

Porsche tractor 218S
    Porsche 911SC 1978
    Porsche 911SC 1983
    Porsche 930 turbo cabrio 1989
    Porsche 996 2001