Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Florida or California Better for Early 911?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Is Florida or California Better for Early 911?

Am thinking of moving from Philadelphia, Pa
    to either Florida or California. One consideration is my
    early 911 addiction. Which is better for my 1970
    911T Targa?

Don

1970 911T Targa
    2006 Cayman S

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Lower humidity in Calif.

The deletion-potential of this thread is at an all-time high.

Resisitng, resisting...

Neither. High desert is best. Winnemucca, Elko, Tin Cup, Smoot. All have everything you need for early 911 fun. If you want city life SLC, Vegas, AZ, Billings and Casper. Fast roads, mountain roads, snow does not last too long. Denver too but busy. Bend is good, more breweries than you can count. Bring a fly rod.. Low dew points and low humidity. And you can get out of the city limits pretty quick. I don't know about FL but Cali is a sardine can Heh Heh. Twas me I'd go for Elko. An early 911 would last forever up here.
    Last edited by steve shea; 03-19-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I spent 20 years in Philly. I've now lived in FL for 20 years.

The tax situation needs to be a real consideration. If you like paying taxes you're going to love CA.

Back to Porsches. There is no reason to own a Porsche in FL. FL consists of flat straight roads that go on forever. Vic Elford bought a Honda Civic when he retired here to FL. He agrees with me that are very few reasons to own a Porsche in FL.

I still have my 911 because it was so much fun to own in PA. I sort of got attached to it. It's fun to drive at Sebring but I don't even do that much anymore.

Richard Newton

I lived in FL as a young man in college. Thought it was the coolest place and wanted to eventually settle there. Then, after a couple years of time spent elsewhere on active duty with the Air Force, I returned home to Maryland. I was surprised I didn't feel the same way as I had previously about FL. It is hot and HUMID down there. Anything inland in the summer is stifling. You will miss fall. Of course, you will also miss (as in not have!) snow and ice! The roads are boring and the landscape is, mostly, flat. If you like the water more than cars FL might work for you. The tax situation is worthy of serious consideration. The politics??...also worth considering depending on your views. The housing market in CA can be quite expensive as well depending on where you want to settle.

Good luck...
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Humidity? . . .

. . . are you Guys nuts?

When it comes to cars + actually using/enjoying/driving 'em? . . .

. . . California is The Shizzle

No place ---- sorry . . . . NO PLACE has more mechanics, body men, painters, parts suppliers to help keep our Air-cooled Anachronisms alive, looking good + kicking . . .

. . . then there's all the miles o' roads + highways, topography, points-o'-interest

And never mind all car clubs and shows that go on --- every week/where

Pebble, anyone? . . .

Oh --- and did we mention the weather? While every Jasper East of Albuqerque has his car up on blocks in his Man Closet . . . we be driving, babies

Not-to-mention that half the membership --- paying or not . . . already lives here . . . . = company

Humidity? . . .

. . . really?

We Can Be Heroes

East Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The deletion-potential of this thread is at an all-time high.

Resisitng, resisting...
    Haha...I was thinking the same thing...

OG3
    RG715

California is expensive. Duuh But everything said above is true. Lots of following here. But very EXPENSIVE. All is relative. If you are still working you are ok, but if you are retiring, you better have a nice portfolio

California subjects you to periodic smog checks (yes, evening vintage cars) and high registration taxes/fees. Florida has no song check and costs about $70/year. I've live in both places and MUCH prefer Florida.