Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the original 915/02 stamping?

Is this the original 915/02 stamping?

I just received pictures of the numbers on a 72S car to check they are matching or not.

With regard to the gearbox, I just expected another font, at least for the type identification. I have no picture of another 915/02 732xxxx box to compare, so I thought to ask you -the experts- immediately for an opinion or comparative pictures. Thanks for your help. Real or not?

Name:  IMG_2014.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  104.1 KB
    Last edited by Adore911; 03-22-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo's

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    Real or not?
    That's NOT where 915 numbers are normally stamped, but 72 was the first year for 915s, so maybe someone else will say they've seen 72s stamped there.
    The numbers are normally stamped just behind the drain plug, on the lowest area of the case. If you can, post another picture of transmission case, showing more of the bottom area.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    No, never seen a # in that location. Here is proper location, factory replacement AT #. G.Led
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And a standard 74#, same as 72 in general. G.Led
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for your quick responses. Indeed, the part where the number should be has been removed. The number must have been restamped on the wrong location, with different font etc...
    Ok, I will tell the seller I am no longer interested.

Name:  915-02 Analysis.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  109.4 KB

Notice that even on the case in the lower right photo, the loop through which the clutch cable passes has broken off.
    This was a big problem on 72 cases, because the loop was not closed.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

+1 more issues than vouge

Another '73 example.

Name:  DSC_0822.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  47.5 KB

Richard Newton
    Porsche Concours College

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Another '73 example...
    Actually a '75, Richard. The third digit in the serial number indicates the model year.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I've never seen an open loop clutch cable until 77. 72 thru 76 915 all hade a closed hole for the clutch cable. Gordon