Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch out the PCA owns the word "Treffen" and I got a cease and desist

Where's Manny? Maybe he can help talk some sense to whomever at PCA?

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Change the entire title to German language Nord Kal Luft Treffen. No mention of cars could be aeroplanes. What about the word parade or autocross what a crock. They cannot trademark the German language.

Yeah call the NCT the norcal aircooled parade. See if they try to stop you from using parade; the PCA's grand event each year.
    This^^^^^^^

A trademark infringement also has to be associated with the category it's filed I believe and they have to prove damage to their trademark use. They cannot enforce a
    Trademark against a general use word even if it's not in our "native" English. So, I'd think as long it isn't specifically a "Porsche TREFFEN in your adverts, they don't really have a leg to stand on. They are banking on you giving in.

Are you providing travel arrangement services?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

You could also advertise it as a German Aircooled TREFFEN.

Porsches welcome!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thank you everyone for your support I started this show for fun and they are taking the fun right out of it. Guess who has more money and lawyers.....they do so for a guy who puts on a small TREFFEN once a year and barely makes a dime and likes to make cool T-shirts for everyone to enjoy and doesn't make a dime on that either.

Treffen! Treffen! Treffen?
    Michael Rogers
    Founder Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Treffen and the Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Swap Meet
    1971 911T Targa/gold metallic
    1969 912 Burgundy red
    Rgruppe #833
    https://www.facebook.com/Nor-Cal-Vin...9809110032975/

Hmmm . . .

. . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

f'ing idiots!

Or is it treff'ing idiots?
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

I sent Vu Nuygen a text. Stating that: is was not only disappointing but completely ridiculous, and uncalled for. It is a Porsche event, so it is being used as intended.......

I don't get it!
    DD: 2008 Aston Matin V8 Vantage (manual)
    Wife's: 2020 Cayenne (white - black/red)
    2008 Porsche GT3-RS (modified)
    1978 Porsche 930 (heavily modified)
    1967 Porsche 911S outlaw (sold)

It seems that the PCA 'own' the word TREFFEN in relation to: Travel and Tour Services only, according to the filing posted earlier... not in relation to Porsche or cars specifically. It seems really ridiculous (if legally correct) that the PCA believe that what you are doing is a threat to them in commercial terms (or any other). Having worked in trademark law several years ago, I wholly understand the logic of protecting your intellectual property. But I think that, as well as protecting the use of the word in certain circumstances, the PCA would have to demonstrate any material harm to their own property, or revenues.
    The companies I worked for would not go after anyone in circumstances such as this as it makes one look petty and mean-spirited.
    I am surprised that the PCA hierarchy are not amenable to permitting this as it is being used to promote our cars (as well as VWs) in a wholesome way in the wider world.
    It seems that the PCA have perhaps lost sight of what they are trying to do for their members...
    As Brent said, Troff'ing idiots... I'll be on the phone tomorrow to lend my support to your cause...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . .

Problem is one needs to do these things on a worldwide basis (very expensive) and then police them worldwide (even more expensive)... in a pre-digital world maybe it didn't matter so much... but I wouldn't want my membership fees to be soaked up by lawyers...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

The world has gone mad !! Mean spirited move by Porsche and PCA, I agree !! Makes me wonder about my membership in PCA.......... George
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa