Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cayenne opinions?

Shift Knob Maker

Cayenne opinions?

Looking to replace my current SUV. Thinking about a used Cayenne, 08 - 11ish. Looking for any incite from those with experience with them. Common problems? Maintenance cost to high?
    General ownership impressions? Concerns about when they get to ? miles?

Thanks.
    Mark.

Last Fall I picked up a 2012 Cayenne S as my new winter DD to give my 2010 911 4S Cab a break from the winter abuse I've been throwing at it, and it's been fantastic so far. I only looked at CPO cars from Porsche (using their dealer search tool) as there are a few items that can be pricey if they happen out of warranty. I only looked at the 958 series (2011-present), as I wanted the completely refreshed engine, interior, technology and exterior, and prices are pretty reasonable for this version (especially as the new version should hit next year...). Additionally, I wanted the last of the normally-aspirated V-8's, as the newer versions are all going to turbo V-6's. I also only looked at the S and GTS's because the Base Cayenne is only 300HP, the S and GTS are 400HP and 420HP respectively, and the Turbo is 500HP. In true Goldilocks fashion, 300HP was too small, and 500HP was too big, so 400HP felt just right!

One of the major issues with the 958 series is a failing transfer case, which if it happens out of warranty can run ~$3,500, so a 3 year warranty on any car you look at should factor into your math on buying one of these. Past that, these cars seem to be pretty bullet proof.

To be honest, your best resource for Cayenne's (all models) is on the Rennlist Forum. Folks are GREAT about sharing their experiences, and the amount of help you'll get in starting your search (and price-checking what you find) will be a huge help to you (it was for me). Check it out as you can search for a lot threads that will help you choose between the 955 series, teh 957 series, and the current 958 series, plus all the variants of each series. Good luck, and head over to Rennlist for all the help you'll need!
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

I've got a 2006 Twin Turbo S, 126k miles, so far been a pretty damn reliable vehicle, better than the Audi's I had previously owned , great in snow, pulls an open trailer with a car like it's not there. I'd buy another in a heart beat. My wife has a Macan which is a excellent alternative if you don't need to pull a trailer or don't need the extra space- much more fun to drive.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Shift Knob Maker
    Thanks for the replys, I have been scanning Rennlist for info as well. I am looking to replace my 12 Explorer, to many repairs needed in the last two years for me to be confident in it. Only 80K miles on it.

A Cayenne would be at the top end of my budget for this vehicle, so I am a tad worried about surprise repairs. I have looked at BMW & Audi as well, but I kinda figure if I am going to spend that money, I may as well look at Porsche. I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money at all though so?? Geezzs, getting old suck. Ha.

Thanks again, any input is welcome.

Mark..

So if your primary consideration is repair costs I would not recommend a Porsche I'd get a Toyota, Honda or a Lexus or Acura. My wife's MDX 10 YO has 225K miles on it - only tires and brakes so far.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by 76911S View Post
    Thanks for the replys, I have been scanning Rennlist for info as well. I am looking to replace my 12 Explorer, to many repairs needed in the last two years for me to be confident in it. Only 80K miles on it.

A Cayenne would be at the top end of my budget for this vehicle, so I am a tad worried about surprise repairs. I have looked at BMW & Audi as well, but I kinda figure if I am going to spend that money, I may as well look at Porsche. I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money at all though so?? Geezzs, getting old suck. Ha.

Thanks again, any input is welcome.

Mark..
    There's always a set of unknowns when you buy a pre-owned car, but there are a few key mitigants to some of the bigger problems no matter what car you buy (Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc). From my own experience, the build quality of the BMW X5's and equivalent Mercedes SUV's is at the low end of the range, although Audi is pretty high. Best case, you find the car you want at the right price with CPO coverage from the Dealer - that will give you peace of mind for the term of the warranty for any big items failing. You also want to get as much service history and paperwork on any car you look at to see if it has generally been a problem-free car or experienced regular trips to the Dealer. If you're worried about the maintence costs, you need to be comfortable doing some DIY repairs and using an independent shop for the bigger jobs and avoid the hideous pricing of the Dealerships....

For me, cars are still an emotional experience as opposed to just a form of transportation. I wanted a balance of performance, fun, build quality, and acceptable economics (total cost of ownership, insurance, MPG, etc.). If you are PURELY interested in cost, I agree with pu911rsr that you should probably look at the Toyota/Honda group of cars. But something tells me that as an air cooled 911 guy, performance matters even for your SUV! For me, I find that the Cayenne ticks all of those boxes for me, but each of us has different priorities that drive our decisions. My wife has a '14 Q7 as her DD (we bought it new). It's a great car for her and rock solid maintenance-wise, although the supercharged 3.0L engine leaves me thoroughly uninspired when I jump behind the wheel! But it serves its purpose for her perfectly, so that was teh right choice for her. For me, I wanted more from a car that is my DD 5 months of the year when I can't drive the 911's. So I was happy to trade a higher cost of ownership for the performance and fun of a Porsche SUV.

I suggest you drive as many of these cars as you can to get a feel for whether or not you can be happy driving each one, then apply the calculus of ownership (including any additional depreciation based on the MY that you buy). Enjoy the search, driving each of these cars is half the fun, and please keep us posted on where you end up!
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

Shift Knob Maker
    Thanks again for the reply's. Don't really need help buying a car, I am looking for experiences with Cayenne's good or bad etc.

Mark..

I've been thinking about a Cayenne for a year or so.
    Having owned some very reliable "regular" cars in Toyota, Nissan & Subaru I was concerned with overall reliability, but realized I was buying a Porsche prone on occasion to have issues that are not cheap. I did my due diligence, pouring thru information on Rennlist Cayenne board, talking to shops and dealers. Decided I preferred the 958 generation better due to styling, performance and seemingly higher quality.

Found a 2 owner, 2011 Cayenne S 80,000 miles in Arizona. Very well maintained, all the big campaigns done, clean with the Turbo-II wheels. Paid sub 30 for it. One minor issue with the air suspension, which has been repaired.
    Love this car! Feels like a luxury mid sized SUV when you are just driving normally, turns into a P O R S C H E when you are punching the accelerator and hammering the corners, really amazing!
    I'm hooked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

2015 Cayenne Turbo....

Chris...Just missed this one....Black/Bordello RED..../ Lars...

http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-m...iles-mint.html
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Lars,
    Great Turbo, love those seats/interior! Too bad you missed it.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon