Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 000 Magazine!

Yes, got my copy on Monday.....

Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    Just opened issue #002. Geez. Wow. Terrific. Holy Catfish.
    Today is paperwork day. Does this count? Don't tell my wife.
    Thanks! I think it does count...

Just looked though round one, more tonight. beyond 1st class.

Just looked though round one, more tonight. beyond 1st class.
    + 1 .... Me as well......

Waiting for some solid time to read every word and REALLY look at every photo with the time they deserve....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Re: "Getting the word out "

I think some might be a little taken aback by the cost "for a magazine"... it's not exactly your monthly road and Track with its $4 yearly discounted sub ;-)

It helps to not think of this publication as a magazine at all... it feels like a book ! I almost feel guilty cracking the spine when I read it...

The overall quality is such that it's essentially a quarterly issue of a top notch reference book on Porsches, think "Excellence was expected" or whatever other good book... As such, it's cheap (as a magazine, not as cheap). A lot of folks think nothing of buying expensive reference books. Maybe some marketing magic to position this more as such, less like a "magazine" would help sales... The product speaks for itself ! I would imagine your renewal rate will be very good...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Re: "Getting the word out "

I think some might be a little taken aback by the cost "for a magazine"... it's not exactly your monthly road and Track with its $4 yearly discounted sub ;-)

It helps to not think of this publication as a magazine at all... it feels like a book ! I almost feel guilty cracking the spine when I read it...

The overall quality is such that it's essentially a quarterly issue of a top notch reference book on Porsches, think "Excellence was expected" or whatever other good book... As such, it's cheap (as a magazine, not as cheap). A lot of folks think nothing of buying expensive reference books. Maybe some marketing magic to position this more as such, less like a "magazine" would help sales... The product speaks for itself ! I would imagine your renewal rate will be very good...
    Thanks, Greg—and everyone. Seriously, thank you.

Good thoughts about "quarterly/book" vs "magazine." Something for us to maybe rethink. We called it a "magazine" for two reasons...editorial agility (more like a magazine in this regard, but with articles that may exceed the information on a given subject found in many books) and "approachability." In a world of so many shouty brands that promise more than their products deliver, we wanted to try something a little different. We also weren't interested in taking ourselves too seriously. With that said, the final product took on a life of its own (like many Porsche restorations tend to…) and once we saw the possibilities, we pushed further. You know, the old "While you're in there." The result is a "magazine" that's way too expensive to give away as samples, but also one that people don't really "get" until they hold it in their hands. I'm hoping you are right about the renewal rate—one year from launch is not far off—but we have yet to have a single request for a refund. Well, other than people upgrading from standard subscriptions to the S and a guy in Korea who was incensed that we didn't call him back the same day (Korean time).

Pete, I'm in IT, not marketing... I don't have the chops to advise of product positioning, but I think that calling it a magazine is almost detrimental in that it does not do 000 justice... There's a few ads so it's also not a book... but I've never seen a magazine of that size, weight, print quality, content quality, that comes delivered in a cardboard box like jewelry ;-)

So yeah, it's something of a new concept in the car magazine world, I'd emphasize that aspect a little more heavily on the website and on other publications, so people understand they are getting great value for $, instead of possibly doing a double take at the subscription cost if they think it's merely a fancy magazine...
    Oh and collectibility galore.. Those first issues will probably fund my adult diaper expenses in 30 years ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I told my wife the subscription was for a multi-volume book and she seemed ok with that... and my renewal is assured; even though the cost in Canadian $s is eye -watering unless I'm comparing it to an RS book!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Signed up for my subscription a couple of days ago based on the great feedback in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepark View Post
    Signed up for my subscription a couple of days ago based on the great feedback in this thread.
    You won't be disappointed!

Regards

Jim