Thread: Mystery body-shell, maybe motorsport?

Mystery body-shell, maybe motorsport?

Hello to all the Forum members and thank you for the deep knowledge that you are sharing with the other Porsche enthusiasts, like me.

I own a few AC 911s from 1975 to 1998 (sorry no PB) and I just came across a very peculiar body-shell (rohkarosserie) that was (probably) never assembled inside Porsche into a full car.
    It looks like a Motorsport product and this makes it interesting either for historical reasons or for a special trackday tool.

I have tried to forward to Porsche Motorsport an enquiry trough an official Porsche Motorsport local rapresentative about it, but I do not expect much of an answer ....
    Consequently I will seek your help for some expert advise.

I have a little bit of knowledge about Porsche "Production Numbers" stamped into the bodyshells at the early stage of production, before a VIN is assigned.
    I understand, as well, that this is a sensitive subject and that Porsche does not like to disclose information, to avoid giving any advantage to crooks trying to counterfit a car.
    I am generally familiar with the Production Number structure (abc-dddd) and with the meaning of the a-b-c digits.
    I also have seen several special 993 RS and GT with theis respective Production Numbers (including GT2 EVOs) and I understand what the b digit usually is for these cars: the number 4 (at least that's what I always find).

This particular body-shell I just saw has an un-usual production number (I will come back to that in a second) and shows all the usual reinforcements that were typical of the mid-late 1990s racecars based on the 993: RSRs and GT2s.

Here are a couple of pictures.
    To my knowledge looks like a motorsport chassis with additional reinforcements compared to the CUP or CLUBSPORT variety.

When I inspected the chassis I was looking for a Production Number in the format 04c-dddd, as it is usually the case with GT2s assembled by race team starting from a body-shell supplied by Porsche Motorsport ...

To my surprise, I found a Production Number in a format I have never seen before and for which I did not find any reference: 184-cccc

I do not know what to make out of this number as it sports three unusual aspects, basically not a single one of the first three digits makes much sense to me.

First the 1 refers to a fully completed car: and this should have been sold directly as a body-shell
    Second the 8 really looks unfamiliar to me and I have never seen a similar second digit
    Third, the 4 should refer to a MY 1994: but there was not yet a 993 GT2 or RSR program in 1994

This body-shell looks legitimate to me, but the Production Number is a real oddity.

Maybe the expert that usually post on this forum can shed some light on this mistery.

Thank you, in advance, for your attention and your time: any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would guess that this is a 1994 993 Supercup bodyshell.

Here is one for sale:
    http://www.pch-automotive.be/vehicule/consult/1859

And this car has the body-shell number 184-1929 if I read correctly the sticker seen on one picture.