Thread: Horseshoes and Porsches

Horseshoes and Porsches

Still too much time on my hands. Crossed my mind recently that close only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Applying that thought to Pflegepass and warranty booklets, I have undertaken the esoteric pursuit of trying to determine what is acceptable in restorations and what should I be satisfied with. Being more concerned with my 912s at this time I am collecting tools, and documents while awaiting 911 progress. Appears to me that Porsche changes the warranty format between ‘67 and ’68 models. My total collection right now is one ‘67 911S targa (in progress), one ‘68 912 coupe which is almost a go and one ‘67 912 Targa awaiting start behind the 911. I do little or no work myself on the cars and must satisfy myself with the proverbial “search” as my form of Porsche entertainment.

Came across a ‘67 912 warranty book and purchased it at a reasonable price (see photo). Of course it’s used and was for US car delivered in Europe through Pons in the Netherlands. My ‘67 912 was similarly delivered in Europe to a Army officer, but came through Krauss in Nurnberg. Question in my mind is whether I am going to be satisfied to have the warranty book in the glove compartment, or will I start to dick around with trying to create substitute pages to insert in the warranty book and if I do that do I add the appropriate info for my car. I know, I know, here this crazy bastard is reverting to his metal stamping arguments again Was fun to chase the booklet, but I now find myself let down but what I got.

Name:  DSC00400.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  36.2 KB

I have real doubts as to whether I will ultimately find 911 warranty books. I say books because in this recent thread, a fellow ESR member posted pictures of two books for the ‘65 that appear to be related. See:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...e-record/page2

Have yet to find a '67 warranty book or books for sale. Would there be Book 1 and Book 2 in '67?

Having at least satisfied myself in part as to my ‘67 912, I recently turned my attention to my ‘68. Saw that AASE had a Phlegepass in German for ‘65 to ‘69. On sale no less. I don’t speak, read or write German but it looked like a nice item which it is. Jumped on it knowing that it is really was not appropriate for any 912 before ‘68. Certainly a lot better than what I had which is nothing. Continued to noodle around on the computer searching for stuff involving Vern Hagestad dealership where my car was purchased. Holly cow! Up comes an American warranty booklet for a 912 sold at Hagestad with appropriate stamps. Got to have it. Signed up to only find out that it was probably long gone. Have yet to receive a response from the internet dealer selling documentation.

A picture was included with the sales blurb and I was having trouble with that since it appears to be distorted. Booklet cover appeared to be shorter and wider than what I purchased from AASE. As we all know the internet can be responsible for distorting color and images so I passed it off for that. Now noted that AASE was selling an American version supposedly covering ‘69-‘72 in English that specified on the first page that it was for T E S and 914-6. However, despite there being a ‘69 912 this was not covered (no skin off my nose). Sierra Madre had a booklet that appeared to be the same as AASE and Porsche Classic was also hawking these. My assumption is that both AASE and Sierra Madre rely on Porsche for the accuracy.

Looking back at the ‘68 from the Hagestad dealership I noted the first page was set up differently and said it was for USA and Canada. Continued to play on the internet and came across a Buy It Now on Ebay for a ‘68 book. Had to have it so made a counter offer and arrived at a compromise. Won’t divulge the amount lest I wind up an Frank Beck’s “seriously” thread. In fact the size and shape are different. Only problem with this is that it is stamped (hole punched) with a “2". Apparently, if you lost your original or were the second owner the dealership would give out a second book with this hole punched number. Now puzzling what to do with this book. Have not yet decided. Have not yet decided if Close is good enough. Opinions. What are you satisfied with?

Name:  DSC00399.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  90.4 KB
    Last edited by doigthom; 04-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.