Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New project - Porsche 911 "T/R" Restoration.

New project - Porsche 911 "T/R" Restoration.

Hi guys!

I am i car enthusiast and professional ( i manage a collection of classic cars for a private collector ). In my line of work i travel a lot searching for opportunities and in a recent development, I became the owner of a very late 67' 911T SWB! (first license plate in 1/1/68). It as been extensively modified by one of the last owners and does not have the original engine, hence the bargain price i bought it for! it has been laying down on a Swedish garage for the last 23 years! :-)

Now in sunny in Portugal, in the safety of my garage i am thinking what to do with it. ( i will not sell! i already had the unfortunate experience of having to sell a 993 C2, so i am going to keep this one! )

I want the car to have fun with it, and probably to be a daily driver ( so the value of the car is not my top priority ) as in my position a nicely sorted 911 DD would be a nice visit card and so with this in mind originality is not a priority! Fun is!

Regarding the car itself... since the engine that it is in the car is from a 69' S (170BHP MFI), and to the best of my knowledge some of the T/Rs from 68 and 69 came not only with the R engine but also with the S engine i am thinking that this one would be a perfect candidate for a T/R tribute! would love to get your thoughts on how to make this a reality...

Also, i have some issues with the car, besides some rust and the ridiculous RSR plastic bodykit that came with it ... One of them is the engine, although it looks mint (at some point it has been rebuilt, as were the brakes!) and the injection pump, pipes, radiator and some other stuff is all brand new or refurbished... there is one niggle with it... it doesn't idle or rev! ( please, so you guys know i am currently in a airport lounge and have the car for two weeks, and i had only been with it for some two nights removing the mentioned body kit and poking some stuff around, so i am just trying to have some opinions before i dig any deeper ). It cranks beautifully, and sounds like it has compression, and i managed to get it to idle for some 30 sec after some backfires at the third attempt to start it! ( am was planning on rebuilding it anyway so i though what the hell! lets give it a go! ) but as soon as i pressed the accelerator it bogged down. There are a million things that can do this in a car that has been parked for the last 23 years ( oh btw oil has been put trough the plus holes and the engine turned before the said test ), old petrol and ignition cover some of them but i am quite afraid of the MFI! $$$!!! any thoughts?

Also, i have been trying to find panels for SWB rear wings with the R or T/R flares but the only ones i find are plastic as well.. should i go that route? what are your thoughts on this one? i would like to have all steel car, never was a fan of composites...

I will disassemble the car, sand or soda blast it, also be metallizing it, and restoring it to perfection under the skin. Epoxy on top of all that.

i will also upload some fotos os the car as it sits and when i first seen it. Hope this works!

Guys, my plane is boarding! All the info that you could share , thoughts, ideias and whatever are welcome!

thx for reading!

best

FName:  IMG_3158.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  150.0 KBName:  IMG_3154.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  116.4 KBName:  IMG_3761.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  110.7 KB

Sounds like a great project!! Keep us posted. How about some engine shots?
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

The nice thing about bulding a Tribute car is you have total freedom to whatever you want.

Tribute: A car produced to commemorate a person, an event or another object.

In your case you want to give tribute to an earlier 911. You could even build a motorcycle as a tribute to honor a rare and unique car. There is no reason that a custom Harley Davidson could not be constructed as a tribute to a 911R.

This is going to be far easier than doing a clone.

Richard Newton
    Almost Useless Car Stuff

Unhelpful comment removed. Carry on with the dictionary, Richard.
    Last edited by eaton; 04-23-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: wasn't nice
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

We have been making the R style Flare in steel for the last 5-6 years and have delivered more of these parts than we ever imagined.

Because 'your' shell has already been cut to fit the RSR style flare the aperture in the rear fender will be much larger than normally required when installing the Flare of a standard SWB car.

We have made several sets of the flares modified in this way as we have seen several SWB cars that were 'modernised' in the Late Seventies and early Eighties.

We also make the R Style front and rear bumpers in fibreglass.

Guys, thank you so much for your input!

So sorry for not being able to reply but life has been pretty hectic this side. For you guys that have an instagram account you can follow my adventures @classiccarcurator !

Meanwhile what i have discovered is that something is not ok with the engine, as compression is about 60 PSI on all cylinders... strange. But at the moment i am going to focus my limited time and attention on the body!

Everything has been removed from the car and i am now just going to put it in a home made rotisserie ( made by yours truly ). For that i had to fabricate some new brackets as the old ones were totally rusted or not even there... :-(

i must say that i dont take as many pictures as i should, but i know that you guys ( like me !) like to see whats happening so here are some of the fotos that i have taken. the car at the moment has been stripped of paint and is the front structure is ready for the rotisserie. i wil upload some fotos when possible.

here you have some pictures...

Check the magnificient welding that had been previsouly done!

Name:  IMG_4299.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4297.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4298.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3969.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3949.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3943.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3905.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3908.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3911.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2958.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  142.5 KB

Will post more up to date fotos! i promise.

Hi guys,

Another update from the 911 T/R Project. As of this last weekend, I have finished cutting all the metal that was not from the car or was too rusty to keep. As you can see from the photos I have removed a lot of metal!

Next step is blasting and them metallising the body.

Some of you are probably thinking that I am crazy cutting the car like this without having it on a jig. Rest assured it will be, eventually going to one but only after this process...

here are some photos:

Name:  IMG_4576.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  150.0 KBName:  IMG_4574.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  140.5 KBName:  IMG_4591.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  95.3 KBName:  IMG_4588.jpg
Size:  133.3 KBName:  IMG_4590.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  102.0 KBName:  IMG_4587.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  143.1 KBName:  IMG_4584.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  115.7 KBName:  IMG_4585.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  155.7 KBName:  IMG_4586.jpg
Size:  103.5 KBName:  IMG_4575.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  149.7 KB

Btw, it's really hard to insert photos in this forum... a drag and drop feature would be a great help to speed up this process... just an idea! and can't I post more than 10 images? :-(

One more photo, so you guys can explain to me what is this for!

Name:  IMG_4460.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  214.6 KB

Those are mounting points for 3 point race harnesses. Interesting project. Good luck with the build.

Hi Stretch,

Thank you! I did a google search and couldn't find any photos of such harness. Do you have one? this could be interesting to use on a period looking car.

Btw, had a look at your build thread. wow! it took you some time but that is exactly what I am going for! you got one more follower!