Thread: 1971 S type non original chassis number. What to do with it?

1971 S type non original chassis number. What to do with it?

I have a 1971 "S" version coupe but the car has received a new nose including chassis number. The chassis number is a "T" targa version. This was done by experts. I bought it a long time ago as a running car but is a bare body without paint now. All the welded joints are clearly visible. I took some measures on the chassis. It is straight as an arrow. All dimension within spec. Point is, I don't know what to do with it. The car is my dreamcar but the non original chassis number makes it totally worthless. And this is what bothers me. Compared to many restoration projects my car has 90% of the bodyparts as it came from the factory and 10% original parts put on later (sills etc). Other projects are 10% as it came from the factory and 90% new panels.
    There is no point in trying to make it original so it can be a project car. Make it my personal 911. But I need some inspiration. I don't want the fancy trim parts and I don't want to make another Carrera RS lookalike. Any good ideas? Pictures that can give me the inspiration I need?

Put your old chassis number back on it. The donor nose is just parts

Sounds like a "T" targa with a new backend. Either way, build it how you like and enjoy it. Scroll through some previous thread- perhaps search on "Outlaw" There is a ton of inspiration and you may find yourself very happy you have a solid, straight chassis that you can modify however you want and not worry about hurting the "value"
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Put your old chassis number back on it. The donor nose is just parts
    The point is, this was done by the PO some 30 years ago.

If you still have the 2.2S MFI/901 drivetrain you have one of the most rewarding packages. Put it back together and have a ball. All anyone has to see is your endless grin as you dismount, it will say it all.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    If you still have the 2.2S MFI/901 drivetrain you have one of the most rewarding packages. Put it back together and have a ball. All anyone has to see is your endless grin as you dismount, it will say it all.
    Yes that would be fun. The car has a MFI engine (a 2L '69 "S") but not the alloy "S" brakes. It does have the front and rear sway bars. Options are open for brake upgrade. I already have adjustable sway bar arms. Which brakes fit on standard spindles?