Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed - Dimensions of original lightweight door straps

Help Needed - Dimensions of original lightweight door straps

Hello everyone.

Working on the final details of my car. I am using lightweight panels, but the leather door release straps are not very accurate. I have found someone who can make me new ones with the correct tooling, but I need to provide dimensions. I am especially concerned with the width of the leather, but also is it raw brown leather on the back and side edges.

Anyone have access to an original strap that could help out with some pics and dimensions?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Anyone???
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Bumping because I need this info as well! (in conjunction with this thread)

I'm going to need competition door cards for my own car and a couple of client builds in short order, so if anyone can help with this info, it would be greatly appreciated!
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

RS door details

I used the Kodak box for size reference on RSH 1382 (white car), the other car is RSR 1008 (orange car)... I've found a german made dog leash that matches the strap nicely...
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Thanks Ernie!
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Ernie, sorry to bother about this again, but can you confirm this measurement on your film box?

Name:  IMG_5486.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  129.0 KB
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Keith,
    Back when I took that strap photo all that I had was the Kodak box, for size, don't have it now. The strap has a black front and back, with a rough edge thats a dark gray, it also has tooling lines both top and bottom on the front (facing side). My best estimate for the leather width is 19mm and the thickness is just under 4mm thick. I have a pattern which I took from a factory original RS lightweight (M471) door panel, The rectangle opening in the panel is 20mm x 25mm. The machine screw for the front of the strap is screwed into a threaded hole already in the door, this screw is M6x10mm 1.0 pitch, the pan head phillips has a 12mm dia. head, and (orange RSR looks like a flat washer is under it). From the C/L of the retangle to the C/L of the M6 screw it's 470mm. Sorry for sideways photos...the rectangle has to be cut out (inner section only) on the non lightweight car. Long ago while I was looking to build the M471, I found a (don't Laugh) dog leash made in germany that matched the RS pull strap...the photo with the plastic handles show the edge of this strap...the company was Reiner Mischke. I'm surprised no one has an original RS pull strap they can post for us... The plastic handles use black counter sunk phillips sheet metal screws, I also have the location for the handle if you need it. Be careful on the depth of the handle screws, with the window... Anyone with the real strap... The screws around the panel are nickel color in 73, and black in 74...
    Ernie W

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
    The strap has a black front and back, with a rough edge thats a dark gray, it also has tooling lines both top and bottom on the front (facing side).
    I'd assumed that they'd had raw edges and back based on this photo:

Name:  Gooding-Amelia-2015-1974-Porsche-911-Carrera-3.0-RSR-14-1600x1063.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  93.1 KB

what do you think? later variation? incorrect restoration?

My best estimate for the leather width is 19mm and the thickness is just under 4mm thick....The machine screw for the front of the strap is screwed into a threaded hole already in the door, this screw is M6x10mm 1.0 pitch, the pan head phillips has a 12mm dia. head,
    If the screw head is 12mm diameter, can that strap be 19mm?!?

The rectangle opening in the panel is 20mm x 25mm.
    Again, that photo would visually suggest that there's more than a 6mm delta between strap width and opening width, yes? - the strap doesn't appear to take up 75% of the opening (vertically.)

I was scaling the strap in your film box photo to ~15mm, based on the 25mm box graphic measurement I had locally. I have a concern, though, since it isn't the exact box you used.. Would love to get a definitive answer on this!

The plastic handles use black counter sunk phillips sheet metal screws, I also have the location for the handle if you need it.
    Yes please! - the RS/lightweight/competition/etc. door card is ubiquitous to 911 modification; you'd think that accurate reproductions would be everywhere in the market by now.
    keith

r gruppe # 436

after looking everything over I agree with your estimate for the strap being 15mm wide. By comparing the known screw head size in the photo with the strap width, and the known rectangle size in the panel, 25mm tall, the strap is more like 15mm... all we need is a confirmation with a real strap...
    Ernie W

I used a photo of RSR 1008 for the dimensions which were taken from an original M471 panel...the leather strap attaches to the door latch with a small key ring, the round split type...
    Ernie W