Thread: 1980 911sc Targa Brake Issue

1980 911sc Targa Brake Issue

Hello,

My name is Charlie and I am new to this site. I own a 1980 911sc in Charlotte NC. The brakes have become very spongy at high temps/longer drives to a point where the pedal almost hits the floor. This only occurs after a long drive/engine warming and short drives the brakes work fine.

1. Anyone have the same issue and know the problem?

2. Looking for a good mechanic in Charlotte NC that understands my old 911.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Brake issue 1980 911sc

My name is Charlie and I am new to this site. I own a 1980 911sc in Charlotte NC. The brakes have become very spongy at high temps/longer drives to a point where the pedal almost hits the floor. This only occurs after a long drive/engine warming and short drives the brakes work fine.

Any help would be great.

p.s. I'm not sure what happened to my last post on the same subject. Sorry if you have already read this post.

Have the brakes been bled recently? Are the brake pads down to the cross bar? Have all the calipers been inspected with the wheels off to look for signs of fluid leakage??? Lots of possibilities here.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Shift Knob Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by charliemac View Post
    p.s. I'm not sure what happened to my last post on the same subject. Sorry if you have already read this post.
    It has been moved to "other Porsche passions". This is a forum dedicated to 911's up to 73, newer car info is discussed there.

Mark..

After driving for a while, get out and feel the temperature of your wheels near the hub. If one or more are hot you have found your problem. If the pads are sticking in the caliper or the flexible lines are old and constricted, the pads will drag, creating friction which heats the caliper until the fluid boils and the pedal goes to the floor. Also make sure your emergency brake is not dragging. Jack up the car, spin the wheels and listen for any dragging.

SV