Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my 1973 914-6 conversion with a 1971 euro 2.4lt 911s MFI Motor

What to do with my 1973 914-6 conversion with a 1971 euro 2.4lt 911s MFI Motor

I built this car for my dad about 15ish years ago and he is now 79 and no longer drives so it is time to sell.

I am trying to find the worth of the motor separate VS Selling it as a complete car. Everyone (save for a few) is circling like vultures to get the car and part it for the motor. It was suggested that I try posting here to get an idea how much the motor is worth alone.

It is a fully rebuilt 1971 gray market 2.4lt S motor with the complete MFI system, runs great, it only has around 5k miles on it in 15 years since it was completed as it was his a play you. It still gets driven once a month to keep everything good and I keep stabil in the tank to keep the gas good.

If it is allowed, I would like to post a link to the advert on the 914 site, but I will wait to make sure it is ok with admin..

The only # I could actually see on the block is.....9021036, I can't see the other one unfortunately.

The MFI system is also rebuilt with a rebuilt mechaical pump, transfer pump, nice tight linkage and non leaking throttle shafts.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Greg

I'll save ya the hassle.

NOT MINE

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=309981

"To start with, I built this car for my father using parts from his euro gray market 1971 911s about 15 years ago when I was working at Stuttgart Southwest a local independent Porsche repair shop.

I started with a nice roller 9 of 73 914 and replaced both the battery tray and the outer rear a arm mount after finding some rust issues after removing the battery tray. I used factory sheet metal to replace everything, no janky after market stuff and everything was repaired to look factory otherwise, there was no other body issues.
    The car was then resprayed Grand Prix White.

Quick back ground on the donor car. My father bought a gray market 1971 911s when I was in 7th grade, by the time I was in my mid 20's he was looking into having the engine rebuilt then restoring the body. After a long search he found an engine rebuilder, then shortly after doing the break-in 500 miles and oil change, the door catch on the drivers side b pillar ripped off of the body when he closed the door. This led to discovering further rust issues and the decision to look for a solid roller to swap the parts over for a 914-6 conversion.

* Motor......
    Full rebuilt 2.4 Euro S 911 motor from my father's Euro 911s. It was rebuilt 1 year prior to starting the project. It was actually completely rebuilt, not just honed and re-ringed like most people do. Stock rebuilt using KS bearings, honed and resized rods, polished crank, reused pistols and liners (all were in spec and the liners were still round), blue printed oil pump, all the oil galleys were cleaned out and the oil squirters were verified working and Carrara timing chain tensioners were added. The heads were rebuilt with NEW guides and seals, re ground valves with a 3 angle valve job and NEW springs, NEW keepers/retainers, a very slight fly cut to make sure they sealed. (the compression was raised very slightly from this over stock. All of the other valve train parts were checked, found to be with in spec and reused. Around 5 k miles on the motor since rebuild. It is running mechanical injection with a new transfer pump and rebuilt mechanical pump. The linkage is tight as well as no leaks at the throttle shafts and topped off with K&N open filters (i still have the stock air cleaner assembly if you want that.), headers and a Borscht muffler.

Tranaxle......
    Completely rebuilt 901 side shift with NEW shift forks and syncro rings and magna fluxed stock gears, around 2500-3000 miles on the trans since rebuild. Trans shifts perfectly and I have done 2 fluid changes the first 2 break-in changes using regular gear oil and the last using Mobil1 synthetic gear oil.

Brakes and suspension...........
    I used the 911 front suspension from the donor car including the Koni front shocks and sway-a-way front torsion bars (i don't remember what size they were though), rebuilt aluminium 4 piston calipers and corresponding rotors, 911 front sway bar, rear brakes are stock 914 with 914-6 hubs and redrilled rotors, weltmeister springs and KYB shocks. The car is slightly lowered all the way around. I also used a W123 Mercedes master cylinder with a bracket welded onto the beam to take up the gap and keep the firewall from flexing under braking. The W123 master cyl is a larger bore then the 911 upgrade and a better brake feel. The car also has a space saver 5 lug spare.

Body..........
    Stock sheet metal with the rear fenders pulled slightly to fit the wheels. 16x6 front and 16x8 rear Carrera 2 staggered wheels and Kumho tires. All the rubber is in good shape and the top and door seals were replaced after the car was sprayed Grand Prix White. The bumpers are black and the rubber is in nice shape. The engine deck lid is a copy of a 914-6 GT with the center cut out and engine grill mesh welded in and painted body colour. I did this to get maximum cooli,g air into the 2.4lt 190hp Euro S motors and to help control the temps here in the hot AZ summers. All the body emblems have been shaved including the hood emblem and the B pillars have had the vinyl removed and were painted body colour with the lower chrome trim removed and holes filled. The car currently has Hella Euro front turn signal lenses. I had amber Hella front turn lenses on the car, but after I took the car to a body shop to get a few small chips and a door ding fixed, the over zealous body tech cranked down the screws and broke the plastic. I will include them with the same though. It has regular US spec tail lights and side markets. The head lights are H-4 housings with high output bulbs (i don't remember the wattage). The rocker covers are also painted black.

Interior...........
    The interior is stock with the exception of a MOMO Monte Carlo 350mm steering wheel, MOMO 4 point belt with Weltmeister harness bar (drivers side only) and a MOMO shift knob. It has the appearance interior with the center console and gauges, the top gauge has been replaced with a VDO oil pressure gauge, but I still have the clock and will include it with the same. The gauges are from a 911 to match the engine with the correct tact and speedo. The cluster backing has been painted body colour. There is an aftermarket Alpine removable face deck, but it is getting old and I would replace it with something newer that works with an mp3 player or phone.

There is roughly 5-6K miles on the car since it was finished as it was a nice weather play car.

Asking $27K"
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

FWIW, I Think if you're looking to move this car in the next two hours you're priced very well. If you're trying to get the very top dollar and you don't mind holding onto for 6 months then you've left a lot on the table.

If the motor is as nice as you say it is, it'll be sold tonight.

*Oh and since you're in Scottsdale, Beck's European can do a qualified PPI for anyone interested.

Yep, that is my advert. I built the car and know the history. I can't really find any kind of a guide line to price the motor. That is why I came here. Luckily a few people told me I was under selling the car a,d suggested I look here.

I would be happy to move it reasonably quickly and not wait 6 months, and would take a little bit to move it faster. I am trying to weigh the returns VS the effort to pull the motor and sell it separate from the car and sell it as a almost complete roller 914-6 project.

You'll notice I didn't put a value on what number comes to mind when I read your article. I'd be wary of taking values from people who haven't inspected the car, who aren't in the business of buying/selling them daily, and aren't proactively looking to purchase.

I will say this though.. If I had the money, it'd be sold already. And I haven't seen it.

Send pictures to joshall4@gmail.com and I'll upload them for you.

Thanks! I will send them now. For some reason no matter what I try, I can't get them to upload.

Emailing them now.

Awesome. Thank you so much!

For the price asked I take it right away. And on hop the next flight out of Munich. Honestly!

But as jos.hall suggested: I might be well worth asking e.g. Frank Beck for his opinion first.
    Getting an estimate from someone that qualified won't let you end up biting your own a** for years feeling you maybe sold the car too reasonably priced.
    Or me thinking I'd have paid too much ;-)
    Last edited by tomster; 05-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.