Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three '67s at the lake today

Three '67s at the lake today

Name:  IMG_20170520_092223202.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  146.5 KB
    427 Cobra, 427 Corvette and my 911
    Needless to say they're fast but no way could they hang with me in the twisties on the way to Berryessa!

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Awesome cars but the 911 punches so far above its weight.
    early S registry # 2596

would make a nice collection right there!
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

It would make a nice collection but separately owned. My buddy's Cobra and my son in laws Vette. Always fun to cruise with my son in law, he's a local CHP Sargent and we have a licence to speed that day!

It's a very cool assemblage, and I've never thought about these cars this way. For some reason, the Cobra feels older by a "decade," the Corvette about right, and the 911 newer by a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by The chief View Post
    Name:  IMG_20170520_092223202.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  146.5 KB
    427 Cobra, 427 Corvette and my 911
    Needless to say they're fast but no way could they hang with me in the twisties on the way to Berryessa!
    You may have them in the twisties, but I bet you can't keep up in the straights!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Either one could take me in a straight run but there are no straight runs long enough between Napa and the lake for them to out run me (very twisty route). The Cobra struggled to keep up but Dave is a little cautious with his car. My son in law is a great driver but there's no way a '67 Corvette can shake a 911 in the turns. Pretty cool to have three fifty year old cars to be the fastest on the road.

Just to add some reality to this thread, I was at a historic race in Daytona appr. 14 years ago. Got there late. However, just in time to watch the last race of the day which was 25 cars, appr. 21 wannabe RS's (maybe one or two were real?), a daimler, a shelby cobra, and a late 60's camaro.
    I am a great fan of early 911 cars, but I watched the shelby destroy the entire pack of 911's. The cobra even lapped all of the cars - in less than 11 laps - that's how much faster the Shelby was. Of course, the course sets up better for big displacement cars like the shelby cobra as there are longer straight aways, and the early 911 cars are superior thru the turns. But not enough to compensate for the power of that shelby cobra. I saw it with my own eyes. I drove home in my 72S with some new respect for big displacement 8 cylinder american muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    Just to add some reality to this thread, I was at a historic race in Daytona appr. 14 years ago. Got there late. However, just in time to watch the last race of the day which was 25 cars, appr. 21 wannabe RS's (maybe one or two were real?), a daimler, a shelby cobra, and a late 60's camaro.
    I am a great fan of early 911 cars, but I watched the shelby destroy the entire pack of 911's. The cobra even lapped all of the cars - in less than 11 laps - that's how much faster the Shelby was. Of course, the course sets up better for big displacement cars like the shelby cobra as there are longer straight aways, and the early 911 cars are superior thru the turns. But not enough to compensate for the power of that shelby cobra. I saw it with my own eyes. I drove home in my 72S with some new respect for big displacement 8 cylinder american muscle.
    Agreed. You have two cars with well over 400hp and one with 160hp...... Still a cool pic though.
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

I have no doubts about the Cobra being the fastest. A 427 in a tiny car like that is just a bit much for the tight turn road we choose for the day. A misjudgment with the go pedal could put that beautiful car into a guard rail in a heartbeat. The 911 is in its element on this particular road.