Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Horn Button

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

Butterfly Horn Button

Hi guys,

I am in process of restoring two butterfly horn buttons (SWB style). I have a few quick questions:

first question: leather replacement or repair? best option

One leather button is OK, but has some patina/wear. Is it better to apply some leather die to repair to the wear to 'like new' or is it better to buy a new leather pad? Are the new pads nice, or are there still quality issues i read about a few years back. I am also debating on just letting the patina go for now, but eventually when i restore the car i will want it like new.. The second horn i need to replace regardless.

Second question: padding behind leather

Also is there supposed to be padding or something underneath to make the pad 'puff out' a little? Mine only had a bunch of brown dust come out with it.. i suspect that may have been padding in a previous life but nothing was left to identify it.

here is the condition of the one i just took apart, with the patina in question

thanks,
    Harry
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I would keep the original. The hockey pucks came flat no padding and with padding later. So maybe the full butterfly did as well. Dunno. But no harm to pad it. The leather you pictured looks easily restorable. I like original restored IF I can get away with it.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    I would keep the original. The hockey pucks came flat no padding and with padding later. So maybe the full butterfly did as well. Dunno. But no harm to pad it. The leather you pictured looks easily restorable. I like original restored IF I can get away with it.
    My thoughts too. I want to steal this nicer leather piece for my own car. The leather on mine is not as nice, and the patina would go well with my wood wheel. I still need to get a second piece of leather for my 2nd pad that I am going to restore.

What kind of padding would one use under the horn? I think with out leather it would look 'hollow' as it has too much space behind it when it is mounted.
    Harry Hoffman

Try thin closed cell foam and layer up till you are happy. I think I used about a 1/4" on mine.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Try thin closed cell foam and layer up till you are happy. I think I used about a 1/4" on mine.
    Thats what i was thinking as well, but didnt know if there was an already established solution that i may have missed. thanks for confirming
    Harry Hoffman

Good info in this thread so I thought I'd add the correct name of the horn button to assist future searchers: batwing horn button restoration.

What is the finish on the batwing. Shiny, satin or just plaint flat? Who makes the correct paint.?

It's a satin. But maybe a little more gloss than a standard satin. I had one powdercoated recently that the guy was able to match exactly. No help on paint. Sorry.

Banned
    Perhaps someone can post a pic of the current leather pads being offered?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    What is the finish on the batwing. Shiny, satin or just plaint flat? Who makes the correct paint.?
    Use wurth satin black trim paint. its the same stuff that goes on the dash, and other areas. I believe it is also the correct stuff for the black detail i between the pettals on fuchs.

https://www.amazon.com/Wurth-Flexibl...rds=wurth+trim
    Harry Hoffman