Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 engine bay decal question

1972 engine bay decal question

Hi All,

Nearly finishing my 72 olklappe 911. I have spend some hours on the web regarding the correct decals for the engine bay.

Is it correct that the 1972 911 3rd left from the driver side decal (vehicle capacities)? What I read was that this decal was for '70 and '71 cars.

Just trying to make sure I don't make mistakes in the final fase.

Regards, frank

this help? 72 S
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I've also seen the '70 , '71 style on '72 cars . '73 is definitely different and no sticker 2nd from left .

Ok, thanks a lot for the help. Will go for 6 decals then....

Regards, frank

The capacity decal you asked about is the first one right of the latch. The second and third from left are tire inflation decals, The second from left is for "over 200 kph" it is not always used, the third is for "normal" tire pressure.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Not great photos -- neither full angle or clear shot -- but hopefully enough is shown below to be useful input to your question of how the MY 72 vs 73 rear panel decals differed back in that period...sources British respected weekly magazine road test reports. Probably a year apart production date bend 71 vs end 72.

MY72: The Porsche Cars GB importers 911 2.4 S Pictured in Jan of 1972.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  117.5 KB
    MY 73: The Porsche Cars GB importers 911 Carrera RS press road test car in 1973 when in May 73.
Views: 366
Size:  106.7 KB
    Same car pictured earlier in Feb 73 when just new to the road -- stickers very feint
Views: 363
Size:  72.5 KB
    Incidentally, already even by then evidence of fiddling with air intake connector hose and non standard clips? Also the normally expected Shell intake sticker already seems to be MIA? Already by May the second picture of the hard worked 72 production date press car registered Jan 73 is looking pretty dusty/dirty. Iirc there was a question elsewhere on forum about the engine mount colour... Black here 73 apparently.
    Also by May it had acquired a black oil filter vs its original red one in picture taken Feb. Plain paint evident on rear chassis legs (not rippled) is correct for a lighter weight chassis of first series homolgation RS, not for S. Black colour finish / two bolt engine fan strap that was subject of an old thread. Knurled nuts not wingnut evident on plastic engine electrical cover of both.

Later car single bolt stap and wing nut electric cover being filled with oil at factory with sticker spacing clear, so fairly definitive for MY after yours.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 385
Size:  90.1 KB

Hope old pictures of two press fleet demo cars from respected magazine sources from back in the day 72 and 72 built My 73 and a later 73 example helps with your question on decal details.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Frank
    here is a picture of the decals on my 1/1972 911 as installed at Porsche
    Name:  IMG_3496s.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  73.8 KB
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Thanks a lot for the help and the effort.

I will have to look for the third sticker on the left because this one wasn't in my sticker package....

Have a great weekend

That should be the 'normal' tire inflation sticker, one would think that would be in the 'package' !
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Frank,

Where did you get your decals from? I need to buy a set for my car. Who makes a good set? It doesn't need to pass Parade concours standards, but should as least spell Porsche correctly.

Thanks,
    Neil
    Neil
    '73 911S targa