Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 356 info help.

Porsche 356 info help.

The 356`s are starting to grow on me, sadly the 356 A and pre A is out of reach / very expensive. ( love the looks)I have been looking at 356 B 1962/1962 tb5 and tb6
    and 356 C/SC

what model will be the best starter 356 , and the best to live with in daily driving in the summer time?

what are the current price level for 356 b 1600s TB6 in generel?

thanks

Lars
    1967 911 Bahama Yellow
    1962 356 TB 6 Slate Grey
    1982 911 SC gone
    1965 911 gone
    1968 911L gone

I think the conventional wisdom is that the C or the SC is the best to drive. Disk brakes and a better developed car. I owned a '65 C for a few years and really loved it. They rust like crazy and many have 912 motors with 009 dizzy but if you are driving rather than polishing it's not a problem. The 356 crowd tend to be a bit grumpy and are crazy about originality. Best to take along someone who knows these cars when you decide to buy. They will be able to point out the little things like kinked hoods and weird panel gaps. The motors are damned expensive to properly rebuild. Recommended

Thread over here now Lars..... I have read that 'the best 356 is the last 356 built' .....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Price wise and drivability, 64-65C. SC's have gone through the roof.
    Early 911S Registry member#775

+1 on Bt6 or a C. get a super, not a 1600N. the 15hp really make a difference and the 1600 supers are very reliable. T6 S90 need more maintenance. SC's are fantastic but very pricey as pointed out above.

50k+ for a good driver.

And indeed they did get a lot better as development continued. A pre A is great to look at but a terrible driver. Shifting, brakes, seating position, steering. 16" wheels w bicycle tires etc are all mediocre at best. A's were a bit better with a new transmission and better seating (no double floors). But to drive and enjoy, T6 or C all the way.

as with early 911s, there are no cheap cars. pay now or pay later. Buy the best you can afford and have fun with it.

And just as with an aircooled 911, the engine sound is addictive.

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by lars1965 View Post
    I have been looking at 356 B 1962/1962 tb5 and tb6 and 356 C/SC...
    what model will be the best starter 356 , and the best to live with in daily driving in the summer time?
    Lars, if there's a limit to what you can afford, then I'd recommend that you look for an excellent 60-63 B Coupe or Hardtop.
    The B's are neither the oldest nor latest models that collectors focus on, but are excellent cars with the best parts prices and availability.
    I'd recommend that you avoid project cars, unless you're an expert in welding, metal and paintwork, and you fully understand what you're getting into.

I've owned the same 356B Super 90 since the 1970s, and also a 356A at one time. They were both used as real, everyday cars for several years.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I agree with Jon. You do not want a project. Spend as much as you can afford for a car. You'll definitely be upside down with the wrong car in a hurry. Take your time to find the right car and have a PPI done by a knowledgeable expert. ALWAYS look at the car before you buy it. Spend the money to fly wherever the car is located. The flight will be the cheapest part of the purchase.
    Early 911S Registry member#775

my budget is 80 K max , but I se a lot of 356B/C to higher price for sale more than a year ( not selling) so I have a hard time figuring out what the correct prices are.. I guess that prices are 10-20 % lower in usa than here in europa?

what about the drum brakes and the 1600s engine on the 356B are they strong enough to the job? what to look for regarding maintenance?

thanks for all your answers and help as my knowledgde lies mainly at swb 911

rg.Lars
    1967 911 Bahama Yellow
    1962 356 TB 6 Slate Grey
    1982 911 SC gone
    1965 911 gone
    1968 911L gone

Quote Originally Posted by lars1965 View Post
    what about the drum brakes and the 1600s engine on the 356B are they strong enough to the job? what to look for regarding maintenance?
    By now almost all the engines have been rebuilt, and many have been modified with different pistons & cylinders, cams, connecting rods, valve gear and even crankshafts.
    Seeing receipts for any claimed engine work is very important for you.
    The B/C and 912 engines were much better than the earlier versions, with larger oil pumps, better oil systems and more reliable parts. They were all 1582cc when new.
    Maintenance is very simple, like an old air-cooled Volkswagen.
    The B drum brakes are excellent for normal driving. For racing or maybe driving down from the Alps, the disc brakes are better.

The big issues with these cars is rust, collision damage, poor repairs and unfortunate modifications.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I agree completely with Jon's assessment of a 356. I have owned a 63 356 B T-6 coupe for more than 35 years that was a daily driver for more than 10 of those years. Basically it's a reliable car if maintained. My 1600 super is 6 volt and drum brakes and I've never had any problems. With your proposed budget you should be able to find a nice, well cared for 356. You'll find it's a different driving experience than a 911.

BTW 356 owners are not all grumpy but tend to lean towards originality��