Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying funky 3 piece wheels - 6 pin drive?

Help Identifying funky 3 piece wheels - 6 pin drive?

I got these in a Porsche lot parts purchase. Shop did a lot of race stuff.

Anyway, these wheels are 15x10 and 15x12, with a 3 piece design. Similar to Centerlines, obviously, but not that brand. they also have a non-ferrous (maybe Magnesium, just based on the fact it's darker than the aluminum) center disc in between the inner and outer halves (I have an identical set of Porsche fitment wheels from the same purchase).

I have read that Halibrand and some others did pin-drive setups with knockoffs, but those pin arrangements seem to have a larger locating diameter (basically, a larger pin/bolt pattern). These pins are arranged in about a 3.5" diameter circle.

Jaguar? Formula car or sports racer? Cobra? Worst case I just bought some cool end tables, but I'd love to know what they fit.

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck. I had an idea they were Chassis Engineering (never heard of Monocoque wheels, though), but really want to find out what the pin drive arrangement fits!

No idea what they are but they're assembled with plenty of high quality hardware. Never mounted ? Indy car ?

Hadn't thought of Indy car - THAT would be cool!

Well, a helpful guy on Classic Motorsports forum who has a lot of race cars, found that some BBS Centerlocks that were on a Formula SAE car had a 3.5" diameter 6 pin setup, but since these are so wide, that likely wasn't the original application. Maybe I'll call BBS?

I'm think'n maybe early A/SR ...

Check out this '65 NICKEY/Huffaker Genie/Chevy
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...enie-MK10.aspx

cm
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Entirely possible. I just heard from a CanAm guy that he suspects it might be a GTP or Trans Am car.

OK, being that these and all the other parts I got came out of a Porsche racing shop - I suspect they are Porsche. Digging a little more, I found that Porsche centerlock wheels changed from the 5 pin pattern (934, 935, 917 etc), to a smaller 6 pin pattern with the 962.

Here are a few pics of a 962 hub and 962 wheel back. Anyone have a 962 hub or wheel they can measure for me?

Greg,

Let try this thread over on this forum.... Who knows, maybe some 935 guy know some'm....
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter