Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing change by Porsche regarding new COA's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Disappointing change by Porsche regarding new COA's

So, everyone is just going to just love this.

Effective immediately, PCNA will no longer be including engine and transmission numbers on COA's for cars manufactured prior to 1979 UNLESS you can verify those numbers when you order your COA. In other words, if you don't already know your engine and transmission numbers, Porsche is not going to tell you. From their email to me:

Please be aware that for security reasons, Porsche Cars North America now requires you to provide the original engine/transmission number for classic vehicles (1979 & older) in order to list the engine/transmission number on the Certificate of Authenticity. If you are not able to provide the original engine/transmission number, the Certificate of Authenticity will list 'Not Confirmed' for the engine/transmission numbers.

If we do not hear from you to cancel the order or provide the original engine/transmission number then we will proceed to list 'Not Confirmed' in 5 business days.

Some of you may know Sara over there. I spoke with her at length a couple days ago and wasn't shy about sharing my opinion of this decision. She told me that this had been in the works for some time and that it was a decision made by their legal team "due to the value of classic vehicles" and that they "do not wish to provide information that may lead to any misrepresentation of a vehicle in the future."

Obviously, the lawyers at PCA have WAY too much time on their hands if this is what they're sitting around talking about. The idea that they're incurring some sort of liability by providing these numbers should someone then re-stamp an engine case and sell a car as original, well, that's a fine example of over-cautious lawyering at it's worst.

In the meantime, those of us restoring cars and using the Porsche data to reunite cars with their original drivetrains, we're screwed.

Sara did tell me that there had been much internal discussion regarding this change and I got the distinct impression that not everyone at PCNA was loving this decision. Sara offered to share my concerns with the higher-ups and I'm in the process of writing a letter. I also told Sara that there were others who were also likely to disagree and who might want to share their thoughts. If that's you, you can write to Sara at coa@porsche.us. Be nice. She's a very nice person.

That sucks. Been like that with the early VWs for at least a decade, tho. Unless you provide the engine and trans you have in your car, they will only specify it was a 40 hp 1200cc or something to that tune.

~J~
    air cooled only

Is it worth bypassing PCNA and go directly to Porsche - Germany for a COA? Do you think there is a Factory source for Pre-'79 COAs that is not so over-cautious lawyer CYA about this?
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

As an American, would I even be able to go to Porsche in Germany for a COA? Bigger question, is this PCNA decision happening worldwide?

Quote Originally Posted by livefromny View Post
    as an american, would i even be able to go to porsche in germany for a coa? Bigger question, is this pcna decision happening worldwide?
    been that way in australia for a year or more will only confirm details over the phone not give them out.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    been that way in australia for a year or more will only confirm details over the phone not give them out.
    Are you saying they'll still tell you the numbers over the phone? Bacause that's different than the U.S. policy. They won't give you numbers under any circumstances. They'll only confirm or deny the numbers you give them.

Right before I posted my question earlier with regard to COA's really being needed I had actually started to fill out the form and saw the lines for engine and transmission number. I thought it was odd that I had to fill in the number when what I was trying to ascertain was what engine and transmission the car actually left the production line with. Obviously I don't have this data and would've thought that's the point of of a COA in the first place. It makes sense now as to why it's on the COA application form.

Maybe I missed it but, if you provide the numbers of your current engine and transmission, will the COA validate those as the original numbers if in fact they are? If they are not original is this when they put in the unable to confirm blurb?

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Are you saying they'll still tell you the numbers over the phone? Bacause that's different than the U.S. policy. They won't give you numbers under any circumstances. They'll only confirm or deny the numbers you give them.
    Will only confirm
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    Is it worth bypassing PCNA and go directly to Porsche - Germany for a COA? Do you think there is a Factory source for Pre-'79 COAs that is not so over-cautious lawyer CYA about this?
    Porsche Germany directly is not giving any information...no engine number no gearbox number ....nothing....if you don´t give it to them before! On top they charge you around 200 USD + 3 month of waiting.....thats why I´m stepping out of that Porsche hype....since Volkswagen overtook this brand its nothing more than just a car.....they kill the spirit...with their stupid sales policy and you only can order a limited car if you had ordered one before....+++
    Porsche 911 S 1971 Kremer race car

Quote Originally Posted by 911r67 View Post
    thats why I´m stepping out of that Porsche hype....since Volkswagen overtook this brand its nothing more than just a car.....they kill the spirit...with their stupid sales policy and you only can order a limited car if you had ordered one before....+++
    Not sure what that has to do with COAs or long hoods. Or that a new 991 is anything remotely close to any VW.

~J~
    air cooled only