Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing change by Porsche regarding new COA's

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    A bit strange, are these lawyers aware that all 72/73 RS VIN, engine and transmission numbers are already published? Fantastic source for the re-stamp business and that started long time ago.

Cees
    That's the reason that there seem to be at least 3 "all original" RS's existing for each VIN ;-)

What would be the effort for Porsche to verify possible # forgery by simply offering a service to drop by your local (official) Porsche dealer to get the car's numbers recorded. Put that on a database and sooner or later they'd be able to tell that your car might be suspect of a re-stamped chassis/engine/trans case. But then again, I guess they just don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    That's the reason that there seem to be at least 3 "all original" RS's existing for each VIN ;-)

What would be the effort for Porsche to verify possible # forgery by simply offering a service to drop by your local (official) Porsche dealer to get the car's numbers recorded. Put that on a database and sooner or later they'd be able to tell that your car might be suspect of a re-stamped chassis/engine/trans case. But then again, I guess they just don't care...
    Its a lot worse than not caring. In recent years here in Australia we have had 2 or three cases of cars that have been proven to be restamped (in some cases identity swaps in others it is hard to know but possibly because the car with altered vin/ identity may have been stolen or some other reason lost in the depth of time. There are a number knowledgeable people who eventually have sorted out a couple of them but not only without any active help from Porsche but at times with active obstruction, but to be fair that was driven by their lawyers who seemed to be worried about legal involvement. In one particular case there were two cars which had had their identity swapped - restamp of body, swap of engine, gearbox and other things. It was proven that this was the case )( in part with a lot of forensic work and in part via the "production numbers" on each shell) Both owners wanted to swap them back to as they were built but Porsche not only would not facilitate this but went out of the way (lawyer driven) to stop it happening. I know the enthusiasts employed at Porsche would have had a very different approach to it all but the decision and the approach to it all was driven by lawyers

I can understand the concern about the legal position of potentially validating a "false identity" or the difficulties involved when two or more very valuable cars cars present with the same identity but that is different in my view to having as much transparency as possible out there. I believe that the lack of transparency - both in what the numbers should be and in what the stamps should look like - creates more issues than publishing this information. In addition all LWB cars have the identity of the production number (which Porsche does not give out or publish in any document released to the public) as a means of identifying an incorrect vin on a car.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

As Dylan said,,"the times they are a changing" which in regards to this topic of discussion is just straight out SAD.
    One of the wonderful aspects of owning these older cars was the belief ( still not unfounded)) and understanding of the almost anal manner in which the manufacturer Porsche were utter sticklers for maintaining a precise "paper trail" of the cars they built.
    They ARE able to access the COA information as we all know and it is a shame that a minute number of incidents regarding dodgy chopped,altered etc cars has screwed it for all.
    I could understand Porsche taking this stance in regards to the "Ultra Rare" cars,, but really,, its not like its a service they even provide for free.
    Times HAVE changed, Bob.
    Mark

It has been widely acknowledged that the COA can be very inaccurate. If you first have to divulge the serial numbers, how do you fact check the fact checker?

On another note; Poor Sara, having to deal with a lot of cranky old men.

We have this scenario here in Germany for years allready. Maybe a good solution to reduce restamping of engines.
    Several years ago there had been other countrys like Spain, where it was possible to get a CoA with matching Engine number.
    Spanish might chime in for todays scenario.

I recently wrote a rant about the COA versus the Kardex, I had no idea it could get worse...

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...6&hilit=kardex

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Yes Virginia - there are some less than ethical people out there
    Take the case of RS 0406 a fake which was advertised a number of years ago
    The owner of the real 0406 had to go to to legal means to cease and desist the advertiser selling
    All the more difficult when the real 0406 was here in AUS and Dr Anton was trying to sell the fake in the USA
    I believe the 'confirm' advising is correct as it protects the proper owner
    What's the old saying - there were 1580 RSs made but there are 3000 for sale now !

Cheers
    Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I guess it's not something anymore. Thought this was the COA thread, how disappointing.

I feel that the most disappointing aspect of all of this is that it will put an end to those wonderful stories that have been posted here in the past of those who have gone to great lengths to REUNITE divorced engines, gearboxes and cars back together.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    I feel that the most disappointing aspect of all of this is that it will put an end to those wonderful stories that have been posted here in the past of those who have gone to great lengths to REUNITE divorced engines, gearboxes and cars back together.
    Mark
    This is so true. I did a 50 car deal last year, many of the cars were all taken apart. I ran the VINS, pulled the Kardexes, and then went though the guy's stash and re-united over a dozen cars with their original engines. Luckily I have Kardex access, but what if I was reliant on the COA system, that would be 12 cars that wouldn't be matching numbers.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!