Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Consider . . .

Car Trouble . . .

. . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...es-of-gas-cars

Personally? --- I'd prefer gas-rationing (post #21) . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1028726

Meanwhile --- Back in 1980 . . .

'. . . Dr Martin Hoffert, 83, physicist and Exxon consultant from 1981 to 1987

When I started consulting for Exxon, I had already begun to understand that the Earth’s climate would be affected by carbon dioxide. There were only a small number of people in the world who were actively working on this problem because the global warming signal had not yet manifested itself in the data. So I was invited to join a research group at Exxon and one of my conditions to join was that we would publish our scientific research in peer-reviewed journals. It was a bunch of geeks trying to figure out how the planetary atmosphere works.

We were doing very good work at Exxon. We had eight scientific papers published in peer-reviewed journals, including a prediction of how much global warming from carbon dioxide buildup would be 40 years later. We made a prediction in 1980 of what the atmospheric warming would be from fossil fuel burning in 2020
    . . .'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientist...100034572.html

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . .
    Personally? --- I'd prefer gas-rationing [I][SIZE=1](post #21) . . .
    Would jet fuel use be included in a guy's gas-rationing limit? I am no 'expert', but I have read that jet fuel has a large carbon footprint.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

. . . Something Else

When you look at the dislocations being caused by climate conditions suspected to be the result of CO2 levels --- as studied/considered/documented by the producers of the very products that created that CO2 . . . yeeeeeaaaaars, ago, turns out

. . . a stage is being set for legal action against those Companies who seem to've already suspected the impact their industry would have on our planet

Property loss

Loss of income

Crop damage

Diminished value

Sounds like insurance company terms, huh?

Short Version . . .

. . . litigation (+ insurance pay-outs/rates?) may address what legislation --- and politics/pubic opinion/The Marketplace . . . could not

Consider last Summers wildfires --- here and in Oz . . .

. . . the Texas Freeze . . .

. . . and now, a 'heat dome' in the Northwest

What's happening, anyway?

Just 'little bit o' bad weather', or? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Have you heard of the Ice Age?
    The Little Ice Age (Period of cooling after the Medieval Warm Period that lasted from the 16th to the 19th century)?
    I was taught in school of the coming of Global cooling. That was in the 1970's (didn't happen).
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Climate is changing, faster than anytime in recorded and unrecorded history and it will be a disaster for a lot of the world’s populations. Period.

What to do about it? Even if we shut down all use of fossile fuels tomorrow morning, this heating would continue for decades. CO2 and NOx are persistent in the atmosphere. They will take a long time to start going down. There is huge hysteresis.

COVID provided proof of this. Global fossil fuel use plummeted last spring and summer, yet temperature trend lines didn’t change. Atmospheric CO2 held steady. What we pumped into the air in the past century is still there unfortunately.

I think (personal opinion of someone with graduate degrees in physics and engineering) that geoengineering is the only chance mankind has. We need large scale atmospheric CO2 scrubbers run off nuclear or renewables and we need reflective particles in the atmosphere to reflect back some of the solar radiation. People are working on those, but we need even more investment. Mankind will be extinct before electric cars, planes and boats have the market penetration we need to bring CO2 levels back to tolerable levels.

If we figure this out, the bonus is we could keep using fossil fuels, and just clean up the mess they make in the atmosphere.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    ...If we figure this out, the bonus is we could keep using fossil fuels, and just clean up the mess they make in the atmosphere.
    I have no doubt that the American Technology Companies will solve this problem.

They solved the China Virus in a year.

Teddy Roosevelt:
    On effort: "Nothing in this world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty."

You climate change dudes are just misguided by your certain period of time. We will get it done despite the difficulty that you imagine.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Somebody will figure out the solution. I never underestimate American ingenuity. But there are many other ingenious people on this planet.

Germans and Brits solved the COVID vaccine problem in a year, not Americans. The fact that you call it the China virus speaks volumes.

In my undergrad I worked in an oxygen isotope mass-spectrometry lab. I don't expect you to understand what that means. But if you did, you'd know that's how we measure atmospheric CO2 and temperatures going back millennia. And we can do it with ±5 years accuracy. So we know exactly what the various cycles and extinction events over the past few million years look like.

We do agree that we will get it done. We have no choice. It's going to cost trillions and billions will die. But we'll get it done.

And finally, I do wish to point out (and this is unpopular in liberal and conservative circles), that the problem is not fossil fuel consumption per se. The problem is too many people on the planet. Earth could happily support a billion people with a consumption profile of the typical North American. The problem is we have 8 billion people aspiring to that level of niceties. And it will be 10 billion by the end of the century, if not sooner. THIS is the problem. We chose not to have kids. That did more for the environment than buying a 1000 Teslas.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

. . . Un-liveable

I was up in the Bay Area and Northwest Washington, last week --- some vacation time with family. Drove up the coast --- scenic, cool . . . then came down The Five --- not-so-scenic, definitely not cool. Drove ~2600 mi

Stayed in Grant’s Pass, OR Friday night, then drove home Saturday. Came down the middle of Oregon and California. Left ~0630, didn’t check the temp --- but it was 80F by 0700

It’s always hot around here, this time of year --- especially when you’re inland, away from any airflow from the coast. And Central Oregon has the same kind of ‘inversion layer’ that LA has. I spent my Summers in Eugene when I was a kid . . . hot + smoggy I’m used to

But this was a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle different

Shasta Lake was just about gone --- looked like somebody ‘d pulled a drain plug, somewhere. More shore than lake, seemed. Saw cars parked on what would normally be lake bottom. I was shocked. Never seen anything like it

Then it got hot . . .

. . . really hot

By the time I got to Sacramento?

116F

Think that’s the hottest weather I’ve EVER been in

And the temps stayed at 113 all the way to Gorman

And it’s only the start of July

We can argue about what to call this. Disagree over the cause. Or not say/do/think anything --- after all, life goes on, right?

Someone will figure out what to do --- how to deal with all this . . .

. . . meanwhile, just turn up the AC

Hm

Well. All I can say is, with heat like that? With no water in the lakes? And no power from their dams?

I know what to call it . . .

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Unbelievable

Are we really going through this, again? . . .

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes