Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I bought my 1971 911S back!!

Well I bought my 1971 911S back!!

As many of you know I sold my 1971 911S race car just over a year ago to fund another racing project. It was a hard decision to make at the time. The minute I closed the door on the trailer I regretted it but
    wanted to race in a certain series and this allowed that to happen.

I mentioned to the new owner if you ever wanted to sell it please let me know. Like so many people do it is a way of saying good bye without closing the door completely. It never happens but we all like that opportunity even if it is delusional. We kept in touch he told me how the car had not moved since he added it to his collection. It had been detailed and all decals removed. I closed one of our last conversations saying "if you ever get the notion to sell let me know." He said are you serious? Well I stuttered for a second and thought am I serious?? Hell ya I'm serious , in my mind I'm thinking I don't know if I have any money but I want this car back!A few minutes later the deal was done. I was ecstatic ,for him he bought it on a whim and never got around to using it. He has a great collection of race cars and only raced a few times each summer.

A few weeks later the car rolled in to my in-laws home in upstate NY, nothing had changed other the the mentioned decals. The car still had sticker Hoosiers. I'm not sure if many of you have had this experience but getting a old car back is a great and at the same time odd feeling. My thoughts were hmm, what now?

There is some interesting history to this car. The car was purchased in Europe. Speaking to past owners (which is an odd story in it's self) I was told the car was in Europe and lived a fast/rough life. It was raced/rallied at what level it's not clear. I'm sure it was at an amateurish level. The car did receive ST type flares and a 911/83 engine (maybe just a RS build engine) all hearsay. I was told it was sent back to the factory for upgrades/repairs at some point. Spoke to the Porsche re the COA and they have nothing(the most blank COA I have seen). Only lists color,engine number and leatherette. No idea of country of origin, trans number or options.

The car was sent to Canada in the mid 80's as a tired old car. I know this because I got a call not too long ago from one of the original owners here in Canada. Out of the blue I was asked if I owned said car. He then asked if I was the same person that played golf at a local country club as a kid. With a little hesitation "Yeees" Well he said I'm an old golfing friend of your dad's and you bought my car!! It all came back to me, when I was a kid 13-14 yrs old I would join them for the odd round etc! My thoughts at this point is what the hell are the chances!! He told me how the car was sold after he finished with it to a local race shop where it was restored and used again for racing! I knew all this as I am friends with the shops owner. I just didn't know who the owner was just after it was imported into Canada. One more piece of the puzzle completed. During the restoration in the late 80's the car had approx 7 layers of paint. It was a complete rainbow. One of those colors was a pink/purple so if anyone knows of a race car in Europe that was pink please let me know.

There is way more to the history than what was mentioned above, some if it involved the mob, a dead guy, company split up and arguing over rights to the car!! I know it sounds crazy but even if half of it is true it makes for a great story!! So that leaves me with what to do now. The car next week will be going in for cosmetic work, I'm going to be adding ST flares, bright trim as well as 15x8 15x9 (RSR Fuchs) new seats as well as a new engine. I have two on the shelf right now a long stroke 69S 2.5 or a Aluminum case 2.5 build. I also have a very nice aluminum case and parts to make a twin plug 2.3. One of the three will end up in place of the 3.0 twin plug currently in the car. I will keep posted on the progress!

Cheers

Name:  911 S Lime Rock.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  57.3 KBName:  1971 911S Mosport Pit.JPG
Views: 800
Size:  89.3 KBName:  IMG_20170609_165553.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  117.1 KBName:  IMG_20170622_153521.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  102.6 KB
    Last edited by Fubawu; 06-25-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Concrats. Nice story. Now keep it forever
    Registry member No.773

What a fantastic story. Keep it forever. My first ever race car was a 3.2 Carrera Super Sport bought back in the early 90's. Built on a 1978 platform. My other half has always wanted me to buy it back. Unfortunately I have no idea where it is now. After me it was used and abused and would need one hell of a lot of work to make it right. Maybe, one day I will own as the wife called it Silver Bullet again
    early S registry # 2596

Way to go, good for you!

Banned
    Nothing sweeter than another bite at the apple. We all have regrets about something we sold but very few enjoy the pleasure of having it back.

Nice job John.

Great story,
    Congrats!
    Steve

Outstanding John....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Seems to me you should write a book about this cars history....
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Very cool story and good on ya! Congrats.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm currently ordering trim pcs as well speak.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports