Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid things we've done....

This was STUPID.

Went fishing years back to the Three Kings Islands which is about 240 nautical miles away from my place,

Caught some good stuff.

IMG_0098.jpg
    Mark

May I just say...OUCH!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Craftsman Lawn tractors have mini tractor batteries for starting, which often give out if sitting a while. I tend to like a fuller size battery at the rear of tractor, where mounting is fairly easy. However several years ago I didn't check the clearance under the seat with it's spring travel. The underside of this seat had been made out of metal...

Everytime I turned with a dip in the yard, 4th of July-worthy sparks emanated to the side of the tractor, but stopped when I slowed to notice them. After several shorts I saw the damaged terminal and wire.

Looking in the positive side (sorry for pun) ...with sparks literally coming out of your ass doubt anyone can accuse you of not working hard on your lawn maintenance

speaking of sparks:
    not sure if thats the most stupid thing i ever did ......got struck by lightening(indirect) two weeks ago..knocked me out for a few secounds....touching the rainwarter pipe during a thunderstorm isn`t a good idea--lesson learned

I was about 20 I owned a 1976 Fiat 128 Spider. I was changing the thermostat. I had to remove the plastic timing cover to get to the thermostat. The job was really easy. I got everything back together and started the motor up to hear a couple of abrupt sounds then the engine stopped. What had happened ? I had left the rubber washer off the timing cover screw cover it was sitting next to the belt driven cam gear , it got picked up on start up by the gear Advanced my timing and bent all my valves. So a $10.00 thermostat cost me a whole lot more !
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Last year I picked up my new (to me) ‘72 Targa from my mechanic after a year-long restoration. Drove it from the east of the Netherlands to Amsterdam via back roads. Of course since everything had been taken apart, there were several minor problems: the hood kept popping up, the horn intermittently engaged by itself, the right indicator stopped working, etc. But we made it to the garage safely where I parked it, tired but satisfied after my first long drive in an early 911. The only thing left to do was to take the folded roof from the trunk and unfold it to keep it in good shape, as my mechanic had explained. But he didn’t tell me to NOT put your finger in the middle where it snaps together... so it took out a whole chunk of my index finger. I knew an early 911 can bite... but hadn’t expected even the roof to be dangerous.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by CDOUGLEHMAN View Post
    I was about 20 I owned a 1976 Fiat 128 Spider. I was changing the thermostat. I had to remove the plastic timing cover to get to the thermostat. The job was really easy. I got everything back together and started the motor up to hear a couple of abrupt sounds then the engine stopped. What had happened ? I had left the rubber washer off the timing cover screw cover it was sitting next to the belt driven cam gear , it got picked up on start up by the gear Advanced my timing and bent all my valves. So a $10.00 thermostat cost me a whole lot more !
    speaking of valves:
    back in the 90ies i owned a(one of many) bmw E30(think it was a 316 M40) after a timing belt issue i had to replace the valves...when tightening the cylinder head bolts i heared something cracking.
    could not find what it was until i refilled the cooling system.
    stupid me did not place an O-ring( between the head and the block) correctly so it was half in and half out and when tightening the bolts the fragile aluminum block cracked.
    thank you

Red face

speaking of sparks:
    Yeah... we can speak about sparks...

So I'm a kid, and I'm driving my first car, a '54 VW, through an intersection close to home that had two pretty abrupt dips... Going through the first dip I heard a loud ZAP!!!... by the time I got to the second dip, and second ZAP, I realized there was a lot of smoke coming out of the rear seat...
    By this time all you old VW guys know exactly what happened... The old rear seat combined with the tired suspension, and lets not forget me driving over the dips too fast caused the underside metal seat springs to contact the under the seat battery and catch the 'horse hair' seat stuffing on fire !!!

No, it get's better....
    On the other side of the intersection was a gas station that I drove to (gas stations back then had both air and water hoses at the pump islands) to witch the attendants (kids the same age as me) ran over screaming 'ARE YOU CRAZY GET THAT !@#$ THING OUT OF HERE !!!!'...….

I ended up going around the back of the station, found a hose and put out the fire...

… I got a million'of'm……….
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter