Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Contaminated Fuel

Water Contaminated Fuel

Just got back from Road America and made the mistake of refueling at Marshall's One Stop in Downtown Elkhart Lake not to mention they only had 91 octane but I believe the fuel was contaminated with water. I had nothing but issues with the engine sputtering and stalling out on my way home which is no fun at speed and 9pm. Reported them to the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture hope that helps, anyone else fill up there? Luckily I had close to half a tank prior to the fill-up and stopped halfway home to add more good fuel. Seems to be running okay now but do you think I should add a can of Heet?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    What kind of car? MFI cars with water contamination will cause the paper in the filter element to swell and cause fuel pressure to drop. Hope you made it home, good luck.

member #1515
    If you have carbs, it is more of a problem, as the water will settle at the bottom of your float bowls. Add a can of alcohol based dryer and drive the car till empty.
    You could also drain a couple of liters out of the tank, after sitting for a while.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Banned
    FIRST drain your float bowls Mike.

Sorry we didn't get to chat at the track; knee-deep in alligators the whole weekend.

Yep, car stalled on me twice south of Milwaukee, limped home. Car seems ok now, already got a call back from the Wisconsin Dept of Agriculture and they will be out for a tank inspection tomorrow at Marshall's One Stop. We would never get this kind of quick response in Illinois. What kind of idiot would fill their car up at a place called Marshall's One Stop anyway, lesson learned.

Name:  gasStation.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  245.5 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    What kind of car? MFI cars with water contamination will cause the paper in the filter element to swell and cause fuel pressure to drop. Hope you made it home, good luck.
    Interesting. Is that anecdotal or did you dissect a filter? I had a similar experience this WE with an MFI engine , after a season of non use and a fill up. Ran great for a couple of hours and tried to drive it after turning it off for 15 minutes. It sputtered and backfired, eventually getting better, but still not back to it's earlier drivability. I am planning on checking the plugs and possibly adding a fuel treatment, which may help with deposits but not water.
    A collapsed or blocked filter would be an easy remedy.

A bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus will help as well...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post
    Interesting. Is that anecdotal or did you dissect a filter? I had a similar experience this WE with an MFI engine , after a season of non use and a fill up. Ran great for a couple of hours and tried to drive it after turning it off for 15 minutes. It sputtered and backfired, eventually getting better, but still not back to it's earlier drivability. I am planning on checking the plugs and possibly adding a fuel treatment, which may help with deposits but not water.
    A collapsed or blocked filter would be an easy remedy.
    That sounds more like a clogged strainer at the bottom of the tank. Of course by removing the strainer you will also take care of any water at the bottom of the tank. I don't think Techron will help with the water, alcohol is needed to absorb the water and move it through the system. It really depends how much water is there.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

^^^^^ True, but it will clean out the rest of the crud
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    "Marshall's One Stop" sounds like the perfect name.