I'm in the middle of my 1969 Porsche 911 2.0 E restoration. I try to keep the car as close to original as i can, so i don't make any updates in the car. Now i try to make the insulation on the rear parcel shelf and the rear seats. But because the insulation was almost completly missing in my car, i don't know if i did it wrong or not. Please help me with it. The only reference i had is a 10x10cm piece of felt covered with tar. I've figured it out that all the rear insulation was from this material not from this rubberised material you can see on later models.

First i had to find the correct felt. After months i found it. It is 1cm thick and looks exaclty like the reference material.

Name:  20170728_232944.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  36.0 KB

After that i had to cover the rear area with this felt. It was really hard, because i didn't have any templates for this. I saw many videos and checked a lot of photos. And i measured, then cut, and measured again, and cut again... For 2 days... But i was satisfied with thge results...

Name:  20170727_193219.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  59.4 KB

The problem was that this felt is not covered with tar (for water repellency maybe?). I've purchased some tar based "paint" and started to cover the felt.

Name:  20170727_205644.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  63.2 KB

After one layer of tar it starts to look quite good, but it needs an additional layer tomorrow to get the uniform black finish.

Name:  20170728_201848.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  58.2 KB

I know it looked way much better without tar, but what can i do if that is how it looked like originally. Now the surface of the felt is quite hard, but overall you can feel that it's some soft material. So i think it works good.

Or am i wrong? Did it look different in 1969? Please give me some advice. I have a lot of this felt material, so i can start it all over!