Thread: RSR engine info

RSR engine info

Hi,
    I can buy a rsr 3.0 engine in Germany, 911/75 block and number *6841734
    I would like to buy it for a 1972 911s rsr conversion car.
    Does anyone know how to get some info or history on that engine?
    And if I can find out which car it belonged to?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Nico

6841734 sounds rather fishy to me. The highest I have heard of is 6840169 and that seems to be a bit high. Please check that serial # very carefully, and get photos; very good photos to be able to confirm.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

slide valve system seems to be billet machined -> not really original I guess
    the injection pump is not an rsr one, maybe the 3D cam is ok but missing the red plug and some other details
    the distributor has a bosch orange cover, maybe original but for a 72 2.8 proto inspiration this should have a marelli one
    the oil filter is a 993 one not the micrometalic original one
    valve cover are not 70's, probably 993 (TBC)
    cam cover are not centerlub, not original to an rsr

engine Nr seems to ne to bright to be real.

who knows what is inside...

for this big amount of cash you can have a really nice engine build that will be perfectly ok for your project.

Thanks again for the feedback! The bright numbers scared me and I wanted comfirmation...

engine number is definitely restamped
    Early 911S Registry #888

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Die cast engine case instead of sand cast. No cam center oil. Not sure it’s worth the asking price.

Hallo Nico.
    70k is a lott of money.....i think 40-50k you can buy a verry good engine by Mittelmotor in Bochum....a oem 3.0 engin is intressant for an oem 3.0 RSR?

Gruß Harry

Guys, thanks for the feedback.
    So restamped numbers (why would someone do this?) and die cast - should be sand cast?
    Not the correct pump and some 964 or 993 parts mixed in a RSR period engine?
    I will go and talk about this with the seller, seems weird...
    A partial trade was proposed: 35k + a high end track e46 M3 car which is also 35k, this makes it interesting for me, otherwise I would have backed out only by seeing the bright numbers...

70K for a 74 RSR engine? That is your first clue. The engine cases for an RSR are unique and depending on condition, number , what it is numbered to, or no numbers they sell for 30K on the low side to 50K just for the case
    A few photo for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT