Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching for a restoration technician

Or gal, Frank.
    They are out there.
    Karla

Brilliant ad!

Banned
    Karla,
    Hiring people with high estrogen levels has never been a problem for me. I've brought on women and teenage boys to do mechanical work in the past.

So far the only qualified candidates are Franz and Rick; I would throw in a hefty signing bonus for either one. Thinking of putting together a world class collection of original Porsche fasteners strategically sorted by year and fitment application to put Franz into a hypnotic state.

I have had a couple of clueless individuals reply. Even with a very detailed ad I received something like this:

"Sup? Saw your ad and want more info."

It absolutely befuddles me as to how a job candidate assumes everyone is as dull-witted and disengaged as they are (similar to criminals). The ad clearly makes a demand for action on the part of the applicant:
    "Please reply with:
    A cover letter describing your experience, hobbies, and what makes you tick.
    Resume including all education and training.
    References."

Even as uneducated blue collar workers and Californian's, how do they ignore optics and perception? If they're not willing to follow instructions in the courting phase they sure as hell won't follow orders during employment.

It leaves me with little hope. But... still waiting to hear from a wife.

(And yes, I've tried Indeed, ZipRecruiter, etc. For the most part these types of individuals don't use recruiting tools like that.)

I'd like to apply Frank but your ad assumes I'm going to be young, have a family, have a wife and want the standard middle class lifestyle. I don't fall into this category. I don't need schools or shopping malls but I do play golf. What about the mavericks of the world who think a little outside the box? Don't you need someone who was at least born when these cars were new?

I'd also like more than a 7 minute 'early 911' commute each day to walk through the door smiling every morning (and properly warm up the engine). Are there any out of town small farms with a decent barn?

Im a little conerned your customers and suppliers might not understand me, I'm from Scotland. Och aye the
    noo

I suspect the weather might be a little different too.

Maybe I'd be better as the silent assistant.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    I'd like to apply Frank but your ad assumes I'm going to be young, have a family, have a wife and want the standard middle class lifestyle. I don't fall into this category. I don't need schools or shopping malls but I do play golf. What about the mavericks of the world who think a little outside the box? Don't you need someone who was at least born when these cars were new?
    And THAT'S where the $100k comes in!

Money is a universal language crossing all cultural and social barriers.

Yes Mike; I'm guessing that you would melt here 4-5 months out of the year. Since I'm not doing this to satisfy customers I have tremendous flexibility. I wouldn't rule out hiring someone who only wanted to work 7 months out of the year. That would also give me the freedom to hire them as an independent contractor.

Frank - maybe that's a good approach. See if you can find a contractor.

Also, dare I ask, have you tried luring someone away from another shop?

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Frank I just sent your ad to a friend, I would have sent it to his wife but he divorced her years ago.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Banned
    Scott,
    Never poached, never will.

I've had it happen to me and refuse to go there.

Thanks Joe.
    Below is perfect for your friend. 600 ft studio apt in the corner.

Quintessential manhouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm going to forward your ad to a [cough]myself[cough] qualified candidate.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I'm qualified, I'm just too old. I am mentoring a younger guy on the other coast in transmission repair for free, just to pass on some of my knowledge. Gordon