Thread: Bumper bars

Bumper bars

Very cool picture in the for sale section. Evokes is selling a nice accessories folder with options for 1970 cars. In the photos he shows, there is the picture of the bumper cross bars for the front and rear. The rear bars don't have the joining plate between the two bars. This was a Porsche option and not an Amco option unless of course Amco made them for Porsche. I know that at times Amco pieces were offered in the Porsche catalog. Much cleaner without the joining piece. Got two I am saving for my 912s. Question is the front bar shown. Enlarging the picture shows two small tabs to bolt the bar to the uprights. Also has two metal tabs mid bar to fasten the license plate. Was this an Amco piece or a Porsche piece?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  19.8 KB

As an aside that's a really nice brochure at a reasonable price. Great for you '70 guys.

I think both are AMCO. I have a front AMCO, NOS in its original box and this is exactly what that picture is. I have seen a number of the rear AMCO and it looks like this picture

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I'm not an expert on front AMCO bars but that doesn't look like the rear AMCO bar I'm used to.

The rear AMCO bar I'm used to is a single piece (plus fasteners) with the two corssbars joined by a plate at each end and the plate has the holes for machine screws to hold it to the bumperettes.

Here's an AMCO ad published January 1967:

Name:  CD_Jan67_AMCO_PS.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  CD_Jan67_AMCO_Bar.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  246.2 KB

Here's a photo of my car that shows the end plates and machine screws better:

Name:  AMCO.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  63.4 KB
    Photo copyright Les Bidrawn

I can't see any sign of the end plates or machine screws in the Porsche brochure. Maybe AMCO changed the design sometime between 1967 and 1970 so if somebody has a later bar set they're certain is from AMCO we'll know for sure.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I have two sets of the rear. Both are Porsche and both came from 1971s. Not Amco unless Porsche farmed the job out. Bars bolt right into the bumper over riders and have no joining piece. Enlarged the photo to the best of my computer's ability and there are no joining plates. Do your NOS fronts have license plate tabs?

Porsche sold its own make of bars.

The one from Porsche as seen in the 1970 US brochure has no visible bolts/machine screws, aftermarket items by Amco do have since they are designed to be mounted afterwards.

Name:  IMG_1813.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  76.0 KB

However, the 1971 US brochure shows clearly a Amco item.
    Name:  IMG_1814.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  108.2 KB

While it is clear one could order a bar from the factory with its distinctive design (Row cars are rarely seen with them, US cars did have them) I assume any Porsche dealer would sell an Amco item if a client wanted it to be installed afterwards.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-22-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Registry member No.773

I have these on my '69 E Is this the Porsche brand on the front
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911E Coupe
    1973 914S
    1977 911S Hot Rod
    1979 930 Turbo Coupe
    1987 Carrera Coupe
    1988 944S2 "Firehawk" Race Car
    2000 Ferrari 360 Modena (Totaled!)
    2002 Suburban 2500(Tow Vehicle)
    2016 BMW M3(Dailey Driver)

Nope, front bar above are aftermarket.
    Here more details and a text.

Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  47.5 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-24-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Registry member No.773