Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: @eBay - numbers matching 69S

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    you guys are nuts..... asking $100,000 is nuts..... these are not $175,000 cars......
    What guys are you referring to and where in this thread does anyone mention an asking price of $100K??

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    What guys are you referring to and where in this thread does anyone mention an asking price of $100K??
    Price in PCA ad......

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/323969

IMO.....Nuts is anyone who thinks this is a good deal...... The fully restored black 69S (EBay last week) has been on the market for over 9 months....

and sorry LA I do not believe a non-running 69S is considered in fair condition by Haggerty. This car is shoddy.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Yeah, that's nuts, alright. Macroni and mac73s are right on every point they made. Selling a project in this market for $100,000 and not even willing to spend a few hours to get the car running is nonsense. I think the seller is locked in 2014. And I don't think that would've worked even back then. It's a new world sunshine.

If I were the seller, I'd take the current bid of $52,000 and never look back. Unless, of course, he's waiting for another bid from the chandelier.

Love the project. 50k is all the money.
    If it were me, I'd lift the reserve and let the car go to a new home.
    There are incredibly misguided perceptions out there on value these days.

I'd hate to see this car on eBay for the next year, getting stale, which is what will happen if it continues to relist.

Your first offer is usually your best, someone once said...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Price in PCA ad......

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/323969

IMO.....Nuts is anyone who thinks this is a good deal...... The fully restored black 69S (EBay last week) has been on the market for over 9 months....

and sorry LA I do not believe a non-running 69S is considered in fair condition by Haggerty. This car is shoddy.
    Thank you for the link to PANORAMA...had no idea it was also listed there and that indeed is crazy money. The finished and running 69E at CPR for $119K makes SO much more sense.

As someone who is currently getting a 69S up to par (mechanically for now), I can tell you that it is easy to get yourself underwater. I have over 15K in the motor itself and that was just for machine work, injection rebuild, etc. We did the assembly ourselves. All the little stuff adds up quickly. Also, being a 69 the one year parts can give your fits. Took a year just to find a fuel pump bracket that was missing. Forget about the 69 only dash etc...

On the other hand it could be a great project if the owner is realistic of its value. Like someone said, it isn't 2014 anymore.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Quote Originally Posted by Scott72 View Post
    As someone who is currently getting a 69S up to par (mechanically for now), I can tell you that it is easy to get yourself underwater. I have over 15K in the motor itself and that was just for machine work, injection rebuild, etc. We did the assembly ourselves. All the little stuff adds up quickly. Also, being a 69 the one year parts can give your fits. Took a year just to find a fuel pump bracket that was missing. Forget about the 69 only dash etc...

On the other hand it could be a great project if the owner is realistic of its value. Like someone said, it isn't 2014 anymore.
    My problem with this car is the suggestion that a rebuilt engine 50k miles ago somehow adds value, sitting very close to the statement that it's not running but should be easy to get that way but we won't bother as the seller...

Just be honest with yourself, and you will find the right value for the car.

"but there's a black one that's all finished on eBay and the seller is asking 175k/whatever..."

What typically goes hand in hand with much higher valuations is a restoration the will not take into account all the 1 year only parts. They're in it for the flip.

+Folks give up on finding 69S heads, pistons and go out to 2.2 and forever lose the 2.0S MFI uniqueness.
    +Rewire for 2.2 MFI pump, no need for the extras for 69
    +Any old replacement dash will do...

Which is the vicious circle, described nicely by Kevin Watts in that recent RS market review.

I wish the seller well and hope that the buyer takes into account the thoughtful comments in this thread by folks who get it.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Current eBay bidding is up to $60K....great news for the seller (and it still has 8 days to go before the auction closes), but that buyer is not likely to be someone who has 'been there, done that' and truly understands the task at hand....or it's a restoration ship who pays their help $10.00 an hour and bills the customer at $125.00 an hour. I am hooked on this bit of eBay drama and enjoying watching the show with someone else's money being spent

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Current eBay bidding is up to $60K....great news for the seller (and it still has 8 days to go before the auction closes), but that buyer is not likely to be someone who has 'been there, done that' and truly understands the task at hand....or it's a restoration ship who pays their help $10.00 an hour and bills the customer at $125.00 an hour. I am hooked on this bit of eBay drama and enjoying watching the show with someone else's money being spent
    At $60,000, I will include the bidder in my nuts category...... this isn't Steve McQ's 69S........

This car needs minimally $50,000 in restoration even for a Porsche Professional.
    Last edited by Macroni; 09-13-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I am hoping this car ends up with an enthusiast and not some flipper that will slap on an Earl Scheib paint job, do the minimal to get it running and slap overvalued price tag on it in six months. Those cars just seem to go round and round on the circuit. It does seem like the base may be there with this car. I would be concerned with the metal work though. I can be tough to tell if you have shoddy metal work until you really dig into it, especially when covered in primer.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757