Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: @eBay - numbers matching 69S

"Metal work covered in primer"? The listing says "media blasted and primered" that seems pretty straightforward to me. If not, think of it this way - all the paint etc is removed and then primer is sprayed on to protect the bare metal. I had the media blaster leave the factory texture on the back of the hood since it is in great shape still. The only other primer is over bare metal where the front of the rear fenders have to be removed and rewelded on to correctly install the rockers, 3/4 of the roof was sanded down to bare metal because the paint was badly blistered and we primered over the bare metal. We also sanded down any rust blisters here and there to make sure there was no cancer underneath - then the bare metal was primered.

The heavy lifting has been done on this car. The rockers(inner and outer), front suspension pan and upper rear parcel shelf were installed by a very experienced Porsche metal worker. The spot welds were drilled with the proper German tool and the NOS, Stoddard & Restoration Design pieces carefully fitted and welded to emulate the factory spot welds in strength and appearance. Now it is a rather simple matter for the new owner to either repaint the car or have a professional do the work. Feel free to have a professional come by and inspect for yourselves.

Concerning other comments made regarding this car - as my father always said, I would urge people to consider the source of each one. There are some people who's opinion I appreciate and give due consideration. Others are very entertaining in a comical way.

Someone correctly pointed out that it isn't 2014 anymore. But I must also point out that it's not 2016 anymore either. There is one huge factor that some people are either unaware of or don't appreciate the implications of - the Euro is worth over 10% more than it has been worth for the past couple years. Over half of the Porsches I sold over the past 10 years went to Europe. Recently that had subsided. However, much of the serious interest in the auction and bidding is once again coming from Europeans. I predict that in the near future some "experts" will once again be regretting not purchasing 911S's when the market was down - maybe they will even figure out that the buyers weren't "nuts" after all. I'm certainly glad I don't share their pessimistic views on the current and future market for these great cars.
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 09-21-2017 at 06:32 AM.

On the record.......Nuts.........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I never understand why anyone wants to criticize anything that anyone else has for sale on this forum. What is the point of pointing out flaws on a project car or pontificating that a car is not worth as much as the seller thinks it is? Or worse yet trying to "warn" a potential buyer that the price is too high, or that a restoration will cost a lot of money? Shouldn't we all be celebrating that a car has come back into circulation and that someone is willing to bring it back to life and restore it to its former glory? Why does anyone who is not directly involved, in other words is not the buyer or the seller care what it costs to buy or what it or will cost to restore? How about a nice "good luck with the sale" or no comment or something positive?

Pelican parts has it right in my opinion, they do not allow people to comment on Porsche cars for sale....I think Early S should adopt the same policy.
    1975 911S targa , 1989 944 turbo S original paint survivor, 1978 924 track car, 1980 924 m471 sport options

I'll take a stab at your question. ESR is certainly a venue to sell cars and parts, but I view its strength is education and guidance. If you were playing the role of buyer rather than seller, I'm sure you'd welcome a critical review of a car or part that you might have interest in and are new to the early 911 world. Before putting out tens-of-thousands of dollars, hearing commentary (good or bad) from places like ESR is valuable. Again, there is a way to look at this 'critical review' from a seller and buyer perspective. I have seen both restored, original, and project cars that are for sale on ESR receive very favorable commentary, and sometimes not.....it is case-by-case with every part or car having its own merits or not. I think too that a seller can learn from some of the commentary, i.e. suggestions like I offered re taking a few extra steps to market the car with a running engine which you yourself state can be done with nothing more than a fuel and oil flush. There was nothing mean spirited in that suggestion. As I said before, it benefits all of us in the community that you get a strong sale, but people here are going to give their opinions...just comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by earlyaircooled View Post

Pelican parts has it right in my opinion, they do not allow people to comment on Porsche cars for sale....I think Early S should adopt the same policy.
    EarlyS embraces the Freedom of Speech......

Why negative..... because I have become old and bitter........ The hobby is over ran and over inflated with and by Flippers.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post

Why negative..... because I have become old and bitter........
    What a coincidence! Yesterday I was talking to a long time Porsche friend about what motivates some people to say the things they say and that is almost word for word his explanation. We also discussed the likely possibility that they may have sold their car before the market sky rocketed and/or can't afford the car they would like to buy anymore. I sold some incredible cars over the years for a fraction of their current value. Do I regret selling them? Not at all because it was usually to buy another one that I wanted more at the time.

I too remember seeing and buying 356's and 911's for under $10,000 regularly for decades. But I also remember buying my first two houses for a fraction of their value now, one has increased 10 fold in Portlands incredible housing market. I guess the buyers of these homes are "nuts" too?

I enjoy driving Porsche's, have for 45 years. Do I wish I could still buy and enjoy a Speedster or Roadster for $5000 - of course. Another friend and I laughed at the price of a 356 Carrera 2 at $10,000 40 years ago. We both remember that car when we see "over priced" cars and restrain our laughter. Besides, its more fun to watch the people who just don't get it.
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 09-26-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I don't usually get involved in these discussions but I am on vacation and happen to have some spare time on my hands. I am wondering if those that think the price is nuts would comment if the car was for sale at $10,000. Would you comment on the sellers price or would you try to figure out how to buy it. I appreciated when a seller is not truthful in thier description and someone knowlegable on the item calls them out for misrepresentation. Larry's discrption seems to me more detailed than most and I fail to get why his price rubs anyone the wrong way. The value someone puts on an item is different for each of us. There are sellers on the list that I don't even bother to read thier adds anymore because in my mind they are always shooting for the moon. I don't believe it is my place to criticize them I just move on. Maybe the problem is some of the complainers are on vacation and have to much time on their hands as I do? It either sells at his asking price or eventually he will lower it.
    Last edited by 67SWT; 09-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

Reality hits hard it seems.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Banned
    No feedback like Pelican? That would be a grave mistake.

I see both sides and since I've been on the receiving end of critical or negative comments here's my take:

Who gives a rats as?

Buyers are sophisticated enough to make up their own minds; not convinced the gallery helps or hinders. All that aside...

L.a, why didn't you get it running before advertising? Seems like investing $500-$1k doing that would pay off in spades. Best of luck to you.