Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: black 1972 - what color are the engine deck lid letters?

black 1972 - what color are the engine deck lid letters?

The title says it all; on a factory black 1972 911T targa would the engine deck lid letters be black, gold, or silver? I've seen cars with letters in all 3 finishes.

Steve

IMHO, at birth they would be Black Anodised, which over time fades to a silver/grey colour.

Quote Originally Posted by majordad View Post
    IMHO, at birth they would be Black Anodised, which over time fades to a silver/grey colour.
    I have read that, but you can't believe everything you read! Hard to believe they would put black letters on a black car. I also have a medium blue '72 with the original paint and emblems on it. You would swear those emblems have always been silver-ish, not a hint of ever being black.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The original letters on my light Ivory 72 were black. I have a photo of the car early in its life and it shows the black emblems. I also have the February of 1972 Car and Driver where they are testing the new 1972 models and those emblems look to be black although since the photos are black and white it's kind of hard to tell. The colors of the three cars are yellow, orange, and green. Don't know though if a black car would have had the same black emblems.

My silver '72 has black...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Period picture of a 72 T Targa with original black anodized lettering as were ALL 1972 911 (unless someone special ordered silver or gold finish - which I've never seen). And I've seen stock black 1972 911s with black anodized lettering.

Name:  Hoover Dam 4.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  81.5 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

I looked at a black '72 in Europe last year that was a barn find in storage since the early 80's. The decklid letters were black on that car.

My 72 Gemini Blue had black but now they are more a patinated lead/blued steel hue. Ageing gracefully unlike myself.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    Period picture of a 72 T Targa with original black anodized lettering as were ALL 1972 911 (unless someone special ordered silver or gold finish - which I've never seen). And I've seen stock black 1972 911s with black anodized lettering.

Name:  Hoover Dam 4.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  81.5 KB
    Off-topic trivia...note on the period California blue (license) plate the red and yellow stickers...those are the '73 & '72 CA DMV stickers before they started using the "month" stickers to go along with the "year" stickers...I know, TMI...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Off-topic trivia...note on the period California blue (license) plate the red and yellow stickers...those are the '73 & '72 CA DMV stickers before they started using the "month" stickers to go along with the "year" stickers...I know, TMI...
    More off topic trivia, photo taken June 1973 in a parking lot on the Nevada side of Hoover Dam.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548