Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 S Targa

1973 S Targa

After 4 years of blood sweat and tears restoring a barn find, my Silver Targa is finally finished. It has been an exciting adventure, being my very first restoration project. At this point the insurance company would like an appraisal. Does anyone have a recommendation for a company or person who could appraise my car? It is located in Wichita Kansas.

If anyone is interested in the story or picture, let me know and I'll post more.

Congrats, now upload some pictures!!!

Can you provide them with the Hagerty valuation guide to get started? Here is the link.

Actually, why not get a quote from them?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Name:  Porsche in Mazda   12-31-12.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  101.5 KBName:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  126.9 KBName:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  142.5 KBName:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  93.3 KB
    It all started in late December 2012 when my oldest son, who was home on leave from "the basic school" (USMC) remembered a high school friend who mentioned his father had worked on an old 911 when they were in high school. After several hours and many phone calls he found that very same car stored in a warehouse by the son of the previous owner who had since passed away. The car had been acquired as payment on debt. It was apparently very rough but ran. An employee of his mentioned he could rebuild the engine and get it running properly. To make a long story short, he took it home, disassembled it and fell off the rails with substance abuse and the car was forgotten about. A few years later, after the gentlemen passed away, his son remembered the car, found it and had it stored in a warehouse. He had no interest in cars and when we located him and the car, the deal was done in a few minutes. I had the car towed home and loaded up my wife's Mazda CX-9 with all the loose ends. The adventure had begun.

Congrats! I have my car insured based on an agreed upon value. No appraisal.
    You agree on a value and insure the car for this value. Premium is directly based off the value insured.
    If the car is stolen or totaled the insurance will pay you the value that was agreed initially.
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

Someone pointed out recently that Agreed Insurance is all very well but if you have an accident and it's deemed to be the other persons fault then it means nothing. You will get what their insurance company allows.

Hopefully everything was boxed together, but judging by the back seat of your wife's Mazda, it doesn't look like it. Searching for missing parts must have been fun. I had a hard enough time myself, and I took the car apart.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Please post 'after' pics! There's a few of us on here from KS. If you're planning on going to Palooza, pm me and maybe we'll caravan in. Pics please!

Name:  IMG_4631.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  86.4 KBName:  IMG_4633.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  137.8 KBName:  IMG_4636.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  100.5 KB R
    Today is homecoming from Devlin Rod and Custom of Wichita KS. They did an outstanding job. It will post the in-between pictures once I have them organized. They are scattered about. Now comes the break in period and then some fun.
    In regards to the appraisal, Chubb requires one and I'm still looking for an appraiser.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Looks great. Looks like you did a small displacement change

Look forward to hearing about the restoration. Enjoy the break-in!
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Beautiful Greg! I'd be surprised if you could find an appraiser to give you a value you'd be comfortable with. I had some of ours "appraised" (for Chubb btw) and was not happy at all with the numbers, both appraised AND premiums. I switched to Hagerty, as mentioned previously, and went with 'agreed' value. You have some great fall weather, coming soon!, to break that motor in! Nothing like fall weather in a Targa

P.S. If you want the name of the appraiser I used pm me. Not sure if he travels to W.