Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does the early 911 community expect of its Metal Guys? Also, Celettes.

What does the early 911 community expect of its Metal Guys? Also, Celettes.

I have been a strictly Porsche 911 guy since about age 8, so this is the only car I like to work on, literally. I've restored a bunch of cars for myself and have a fully set up metal shop where I do work for customers.

I'd like to hear from this early 911 community what you expect from your metal guys? What are the needs?

My website has some past and current projects of mine, it shows what I can do.

https://www.rungeeleven.com/

I would like to hear anything anyone has to say, because it's what's my shop/business is all about. I want to be a go to guy for this community. It seems like metal work is something Porsche owners are scared of and they shouldn't be, these cars corrode and need new panels, just like the engines need new pistons and cylinders.

Also, I am going to post below about the importance of the Celette repair bench. If you have a Porsche 911 you should be aware of them if you already aren't. I couldn't be able to do what I do without them. Most of these cars that are being restored have been hit and I couldn't imagine trying to locate the critical mounting points on jack stands. Every car I mount on a Celette that has had a front pan installed by someone else is way off, Celette is really the only way. Also, it adds value to having a car repaired on a Celette. I tried to sell a car that wasn't repaired on a Celette, never again. The serious, well informed buyers will ask, "was it done on a Celette?"

Please feel free to jump in and post. Metal work and coachwork should discussed more, it's the core of these cars.
    Last edited by David Liam; 05-15-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Question: In your opinion is there any difference between using the Celette repair bench and a BlackHawk?
    '66 911 - Light Ivory | Early '66 with Solex Carbs
    '72 911T - Aubergine originally | now Bahia Red | "S" options | 2.2S P&C's

link to your website isn't working...at least on my end. Curious to see your setup, wish I had a Celette!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Link not working here either. Wouldn't it be nice to know where you are located?
    Bob B

I was just in your neck of the woods for the Lime Rock event. Next year I'd like to stop by and see your set up.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Link is working fine for me. Using Internet Explorer 11.
    Website lists location -> Salisbury, CT
    '66 911 - Light Ivory | Early '66 with Solex Carbs
    '72 911T - Aubergine originally | now Bahia Red | "S" options | 2.2S P&C's

Quote Originally Posted by TWJ View Post
    Question: In your opinion is there any difference between using the Celette repair bench and a BlackHawk?
    In my opinion, yes, but a Blackhawk will still fixture a car properly. The main reason I think a Celette is better is because it is what the factory recommends and what the factory uses in its own restoration shop. Blackhawks are fine too, it's just that I personally wouldn't spend my own money on one, I decided to spend it on a Celette. Celette is still in business, blackhawk is not. It's a matter of opinion, both ok, but I spent my money on Celette. I was also very lucky to find two reasonably priced benches with factory dedicated 911 fixtures. Ultimately, I put a 911 on a Celette bench with Celette factory dedicated 911 fixtures before it leaves my shop, that way I have 100% confidence in the truth of the chassis. The cars can go on and off rotisseries throughout the process, mostly for panel removal and final welding, but they always get checked on the Celette.

Also, never used a blackhawk, maybe it's more user friendly. Celette has a more modern MZ tower system, that I also have, very easy to use compared to old style dedicated fixtures. There are reproductions fixtures out there, I made some of my own when I started out, then slowly found authentic and better fixtures.

Your question opens up a can of worms, the key is that the car is fixtured, hope that helps.
    Last edited by David Liam; 05-15-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWJ View Post
    Link is working fine for me. Using Internet Explorer 11.
    Website lists location -> Salisbury, CT
    Thanks, yeah, Salisbury, CT, 5 minutes from Lime Rock Park.

Both links work for me David.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

celette is the way to go-- i have 3 of them..they are cheap here in western europe since no collision repair shop uses them anymore.
    labor cost is simply to high that if a vehicle is damaged that it would need a celette it is almost always is a write -off.
    they just want to get rid of them. i bought the first complete muf 5 setup with the MZ towers,chains hydraulics, etc for 1500€ including a truck load of mercedes fixtures.
    the last bench+crossbars i got for 100€.

i don`t have original fixtures for 911.
    i built fixtures for all standard body types 64-86(minus 930)
    for longhoods i also built some for the bumper mounting points...celette fixture sets never had them...i wonder why