Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Weidman?

"I have no Hart or respect for some "newbies" trying to dilute the market."

+1,000,000,000,000,000!

Some of us I believe would be perfectly happy with a set of 4 that look like the one you got back, even for concours. Seems to me that asking a different shop for an exact match of 3 others that were restored by another is asking for trouble, no? Then again maybe I haven't been around long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Just thought I would share my experience. Not sure the photos will illustrate the details very well, but it should give the idea.

I recently had a couple wheels restored by a relatively new shop that's been discussed here on the board. I've always had my wheels done by Harvey, but figured that with his backlog, I would try another option. What I got back were pretty, but not accurate at all. In the photos below, you will see the Harvey wheel on the car, an original wheel to the right and the restored wheel to the left.

The first thing I noticed was that the paint on the restored wheel was not a matt finish like the original but instead a chalky flat finish. It filled my garage with what smelled like barbecue paint. The other big problem is that the finish on the sides of the spokes and the barrel part of the rim are the exact same polished finish as the face of the spokes and the rim. The original wheel of course had more of a raw finish beneath the anodizing on the sides of the spokes and the barrel of the rim which Harvey replicates nicely.

The workmanship of the restored wheel seemed very good, but like I said was totally inaccurate. For a driver quality car it would probably be just fine, but I was assured that it would be Concours correct and indistinguishable from my other wheels...which it wasn't. Luckily Harvey was gracious enough to redo the wheels correctly, but I was still out a big chunk of money.
    Wouldn't it help the community more to know who did the work you didn't like, rather than have a Harvey love-in? I agree his work is spectacular and he's a great guy personally, but all that is well known. If you had work done that you weren't happy with that should be shared, so others don't join your ranks. Alluding to "a relatively new shop that's been discussed here on the board" isn't very helpful to someone checking the references on a shop by searching the boards.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Just thought I would share my experience. Not sure the photos will illustrate the details very well, but it should give the idea.

I recently had a couple wheels restored by a relatively new shop that's been discussed here on the board. I've always had my wheels done by Harvey, but figured that with his backlog, I would try another option. What I got back were pretty, but not accurate at all. In the photos below, you will see the Harvey wheel on the car, an original wheel to the right and the restored wheel to the left.

The first thing I noticed was that the paint on the restored wheel was not a matt finish like the original but instead a chalky flat finish. It filled my garage with what smelled like barbecue paint. The other big problem is that the finish on the sides of the spokes and the barrel part of the rim are the exact same polished finish as the face of the spokes and the rim. The original wheel of course had more of a raw finish beneath the anodizing on the sides of the spokes and the barrel of the rim which Harvey replicates nicely.

The workmanship of the restored wheel seemed very good, but like I said was totally inaccurate. For a driver quality car it would probably be just fine, but I was assured that it would be Concours correct and indistinguishable from my other wheels...which it wasn't. Luckily Harvey was gracious enough to redo the wheels correctly, but I was still out a big chunk of money.
    Did you give the new shop a wheel to match to? Did you tell the new shop the finish wasn't accurate and you wanted it re-done? Do you paint a lot of barbeques
    Scott

As I posted on another Fuchs thread....the rule of the triangle: fast, cheap, good.

You can get two, in any combination, of the above, but NEVER all three!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Choices, choices, choices...

Restore my unrestored originals...or leave well enough alone...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Well, I'll chime in. I have a set of Zuffenhaus wheels in RS finish by Harvey and they are spectacular. I also have a few sets done by Rick (Hart) and am VERY happy with them too. No wheels done by Al Reed, though I've seen his work and they too are very nice. I've met both guys (Rick and Harvey) and both are approachable and quality through and through imho. Sorry the op had such an issue. Hard to believe he couldn't get resolution. All Rick is doing is filling a void, and filling it well, again imho. I'm a satisfied customer from both shops.

I bought 4 deep sixes that were recently done by a respected restorer . I sent them to Harvey to be properly restored - just saying . I don't think some people would recognize a correctly restored wheel if it ran over them . The "newbie restorers " are fine for them and it's probably healthier mentally than obsessing about this stuff .
    Last edited by Richy; 10-05-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: change text

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Pretty sure it's you David.
    Nuh I am on that list sometimes last set took 20mths but happy to wait for the best there is.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Lol:d:d:d:d:d
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6