Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time

Time

A few years ago I sent a car to the right coast for general refurbishment. I chose this shop because their name is a stamp of approval in the market and the cars they work on sell for a premium. This was not a Porsche.
    After 13 months I got the car back. No restoration, no engine rebuild, no repaint. Just their expertise at sorting it out. 13 months.

This got me thinking about TIME and what it is worth. If you are young and have many years of enjoyment ahead of you a year or two means nothing. If you are 78 and expect to drive your baby for another five years then a two year service abyss means more. I am somewhere in the middle.

I am fascinated by the current service back up. It is certainly an imbalance of too many cars and too few capable shops. No knock on the shops who are backed up nor the car owners in a hurry. The best are backed up for very good reasons. It will be interesting to see if more owners decide to delay a restoration for now or rebuild the engine instead of the whole car.
    Imbalances in supply and demand have a way of working themselves out over time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    Imbalances in supply and demand have a way of working themselves out over time.
    Yahtzee Dennis!

It's sorted out by charging Porsche owners $225 per labor hour because people who own Porsches think it's beneath them and their kid's dignity to become mechanics.

The shortage of good wrenches WILL catch up to owners... if it hasn't already.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 10-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.

possibly.
    Read "Shopcraft as Soulcraft".
    With the old ones i can keep them running myself and limit the high labor rate to the big stuff.

Banned
    Definitely a fan of the book and I hear others rave about it.

But I still don't see many parents viewing the trades as legit options for their boys.

Time is a factor, I'll give you two recent examples.
    1. A local guy is looking to get into a 356 and told me to be on the lookout for something special, I don't think money was an issue. I ran into him at an autocross and told him I had a 1962 Twin Grill Roadster (one of 249 built) arriving that Monday morning, Oslo Blue over Red, all matching numbers, but needing a full resto. Wouldn't you know it, he was there to meet the truck when it arrived. He loved the car, and asked me for 24 hours to think about it. He called the next day and said at 74 he didn't have it in him for a 3 year minimum restoration, I couldn't really argue. The car sold a few days later and is going back to the Fatherland, to a Doctor in his 60s, he has time.
    2. A year ago last month I acquired a 1995 993 that had been sitting outside for 7 years, after a fire, a real horror show. But it was $5000, I couldn't resist. I gave it to a friend of mine who said 3 months to sort it, I got it back a few weeks ago (after a trip to my local wrench for more sorting), yes, I waited a year. But at 42 I have time, and now have a great 993 that I've been driving every day.
    Remember what Sir Mic said,
    "Time waits for no man, no favors has he, Time waits for no man, and he won't wait for me."
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Definitely a fan of the book and I hear others rave about it.

But I still don't see many parents viewing the trades as legit options for their boys.
    Yes but what boy ever listened to his parents

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Yahtzee Dennis!

It's sorted out by charging Porsche owners $225 per labor hour because people who own Porsches think it's beneath them and their kid's dignity to become mechanics.

The shortage of good wrenches WILL catch up to owners... if it hasn't already.
    To further the conversation's use of quotes...... $225/ hr reminds me of one from PT Barnum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelaiellosr View Post
    To further the conversation's use of quotes...... $225/ hr reminds me of one from PT Barnum
    Penske's dealerships in Scottsdale already charge that rate.

Longranger, mark this thread on your calendar and vomit it back up in one of your Olde Thread Alerts in 2-3 years. $225 per hour will not be so unthinkable in most metro markets by then.

Interesting thread..... I would love to comment but..... no time........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"