Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who restores fans for air-cooled 911 cars?

The original finish is cosmoline. You should be able to do it yourself.

There’s an article on this very subject in the current issue of 000 magazine...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Sun888 View Post
    Thanks John. Just looked at your fotos in one of the fan-threads. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...an-restoration

The fan looks very good! Would just prefer to have the yellow tint on it as well. As seen on the '700 miles' car. But I'd be ok with settling for something like Shaun if I can't get the yellow tint on it.
    Shaun can certainly do yellow tint; I instructed him to do clear zinc because my research indicated 65 cars were finished that way.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    Shaun can certainly do yellow tint; I instructed him to do clear zinc because my research indicated 65 cars were finished that way.
    Who's on first?

Apprehensively I'll speak for Sun888 and say I believe he meant the yellow tint on the mag, not the plating?

Yellow "tint" and crappy consistency of the fan surface are hallmarks of original finish. Most fans done nowadays are way too pretty if one is going for originality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Who's on first?

Apprehensively I'll speak for Sun888 and say I believe he meant the yellow tint on the mag, not the plating?

Yellow "tint" and crappy consistency of the fan surface are hallmarks of original finish. Most fans done nowadays are way too pretty if one is going for originality.
    yea, I meant he could do zinc/yellow for the center section; I went with clear zinc for my 65 (301744). For the fan and housing I believe Shaun tumbles clean and finishes with some type of oil. But yes, we are over-restoring these cars with finishes and detailing that far surpasses what came as original. As someone on this board says, (in many ways) "restoration is destruction." All we can do is our best to stay as true to possible to "original" understanding that "original" means different things to different people.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    All we can do is our best to stay as true to possible to "original" understanding that "original" means different things to different people.
    With due respect John, THAT is where you're wrong.
    One doesn't get to "interpret" originality in this case.

If we were talking an early '64 901 where things were in flux day to day, I might agree with you. But when it comes to fans there are enough original examples out there to know with zero doubt what's correct.

Your argument sounds a lot like the current debate about "truth". Truth is not subjective; it's absolute and defined or it's not truth.

These threads are always amusing. It's either original or it's not. You don't get to recreate original. Everything else is a fantasy where some are better than others and definitely a matter of personal taste.
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Quote Originally Posted by 356fan View Post
    These threads are always amusing. It's either original or it's not. You don't get to recreate original. Everything else is a fantasy where some are better than others and definitely a matter of personal taste.

We are talking about original finish. So an original fan is original yes? Then we want it to have the original finish so it looks like when it left the factory , that's all. Recreating original can't be done by humans.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by 356fan View Post
    You don't get to recreate original.
    Sorry to disagree, but every time we do a ground-up restoration on one of our cars we are interpreting originality. And I don’t mean using parts from a later car on an earlier car, or introducing colors or finishes different from what the factory used. Anyone would be foolish to suggest that. But where do you get, for example, Fawn material to exactly match the color and texture produced by the original vendor over 50 years ago? Anything we get now is an interpretation of the original. Same applies the paint, undercoating, metal finishing, etc. We strive to get it as close as we can to the original and we should. But we have one big disadvantage. Whereas our cars came out of a factory using consistent set of workers, vendors and materials, we as independent restorers each have our techniques, resources, abilities, sources, etc. In the end, our finished product becomes our interpretation of what the factory did in one point in time 50+ years ago.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut