Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Number Mystery- HELP!

Chassis Number Mystery- HELP!

Hi Everyone - I am looking to purchase my first air cooled 911 and I'm concerned that the car I am looking to purchase is fake or has been tampered with

The car is supposed to be a 1970 911E but the 6th digit on the vehicle id is a 3. From my research "3" was for the 914/6 and 924. The engine number is blank stamped. The transmission is a 901 and the serial seems to match that of a 1970s 911E.

I appreciate your help!

Name:  0.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  0-2.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  25.0 KB
    Name:  0-3.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  12.6 KB
    Name:  used-1970-porsche-911_e-911ecoupe-9530-16365017-50-1024.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  82.4 KB

This is my understanding as well that the 6th digit for a 911 1970E coupe should be a 0 or a 2.
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

So possibly the plate was tampered with... would a car like this be worth purchasing still? Any chance the 3 signifies a prototype or race chassis?

nah they made mistakes early out .. my 69e had a 4 stamped in the vin number ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, that is certainly odd. Either the factory goofed on all 3 VIN stampings or someone faked them. It would be very useful to get the production # from the dash frame, below the radio opening and hidden by the knee pad. This would help identify the body. I would also check to see if there is any report of the car being stolen. Should not be a Karrmann body; Karmann E went to only 667. You did not say coupe or Targa.
    This could be a lovely Factory oops, or a nightmare.
    I can help further if needed.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by dporsche74 View Post
    nah they made mistakes early out .. my 69e had a 4 stamped in the vin number ..
    What about the other VIN stamps? Were they consistently wrong as well?

indeed.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the help! I'll get the production numbers from under the radio. It does seem odd that all the numbers would be stamped incorrectly in all 3 places. Not sure if I'm reading into things too much but the plate looks very clean for a car that's 46 years old. Also the numbers from the trunk look like they are a different character/font.

Blows my mind that someone would go through such efforts to fake a cars numbers.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by dporsche74 View Post
    indeed.........
    Well that's somewhat reassuring...

Does anyone know if you lose a significant value in the car if the engine is blank stamped?

Also the Band on the engine is GREEN which correlates with the 911E.

Name:  used-1970-porsche-911_e-911ecoupe-9530-16365017-35-1024.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  134.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PSben View Post
    Well that's somewhat reassuring...

Does anyone know if you lose a significant value in the car if the engine is blank stamped?
    Yes, I have been collecting a few "oops" over the years. The trick is to do a bit of research to verify what it truly is.
    A blank engine case means that a new crankcase was used to rebuild the engine. In some ways this is better than having the wrong engine #, but not as good as having the correct number. If this was a full concours car, then perhaps a significant loss in value, but I would guess that in your case it may make little difference. If the VIN is a factory typo, then there may be more value in the novelty VIN than the loss in engine value.