Thread: Early 74 Euro Carrera Ducktail Question

Early 74 Euro Carrera Ducktail Question

Hello all,

The ducktails that were carried over from 73 Carrera and used on the first few Euro 74's still had the rectangular holes for the license lights in them but were blocked off with metal plates that were attached with screws. Does anyone here know if the factory had the license plate light block off plates painted the car color or were they painted black?

Also, did the factory add the diagonal holes for the rubber tie downs or did the ducktails come without them and were drilled as needed?

Any advice or pics of an original tail would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David C Treichel View Post
    Hello all,

The ducktails that were carried over from 73 Carrera and used on the first few Euro 74's still had the rectangular holes for the license lights in them but were blocked off with metal plates that were attached with screws. Does anyone here know if the factory had the license plate light block off plates painted the car color or were they painted black?

Also, did the factory add the diagonal holes for the rubber tie downs or did the ducktails come without them and were drilled as needed?

Any advice or pics of an original tail would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave
    I have always seen the block-off plates body-colored. That would be my best guess as to factory-correct.

What's a rubber tie-down?

Ahh,,,,,now I know what you're getting at
    Last edited by edmayo; 10-16-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more info
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Dave! Good to see you around these parts!
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

I'm pretty sure those diagonal holes for the pull downs/tie downs were part of the ducktail design. I say this because each side has a small reinforcement plate underneath the holes welded in place.

Adding a link from Peli- look at post #6 by Brian (fryardds here on the Registry as well)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-ducktail.html
    Last edited by Kaleid; 10-17-2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: more info
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Thank you for the info guys, I'm a detail freak so I when I do the metal and paint on these cars I want it correct. Lots of mediocrity out there. I appreciate your help.

I'm around a lot of "parts" Keith, you should see my shop ha!

Quote Originally Posted by David C Treichel View Post
    Thank you for the info guys, I'm a detail freak so I when I do the metal and paint on these cars I want it correct. Lots of mediocrity out there. I appreciate your help.
    hear, hear!
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Ryan Snodgrass's book on the 2.7 MFI Carreras has a good picture of the block out plate from a reference car, it's painted body color (white in the photo). Unfortunately doesn't address the holes for the tie downs.
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars