Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing

Pricing

I recently attended a dinner where a gentleman from RM-Sotheby's was present.
    We agreed 2015 was the year when prices plateaued. 930 Turbo "owners" who bought it during the frenzy are all unhappy now. "Good Cars" will still command a premium.

The dregs being hawked as investments are not.

This did come to mind:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

And I'm all for it if it means more of the cars will be driven.

Along those lines, the good news with the run-up in pricing is that the cars are worth fixing in the event of an accident that would have totaled them 10-15 years ago. Unless they're super low miles and/or super original, there just isn't much of a reason to avoid putting more miles on them.

"They are too cheap of what they are and how they are built", I thought 15years ago.
    "They are cheap because being old and slow Porsche's with tricky handling, compared to newer Porsche", I was told 15 years ago.

Value or pricing since went up because more and more people realised its not true and actually the opposite, great vintage cars with stellar looks and built in quality.

Today's value of this cars reflect now this, agree since 2015 it flattened. Everything above todays value might be into true collecting and investement. But it does not deduct the facts of why these cars gained so much value in the first place, the last 15 years since.

And this is even more true for the once "neglected" models like 912, 911T, 911L, 911E but also - mind you- any 65 911 normale...at a time when even this registry's name wanted to "cover" only early911S. Would it been today being called again like this ? IMHO I dont think so. Time has changed. End of story.

Name:  IMG_1629.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  65.4 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    And I'm all for it if it means more of the cars will be driven.

Along those lines, the good news with the run-up in pricing is that the cars are worth fixing in the event of an accident that would have totaled them 10-15 years ago. Unless they're super low miles and/or super original, there just isn't much of a reason to avoid putting more miles on them.
    I'm in total lock step with Pete. Any early 911, properly insured with an "agreed value" policy is in very little risk of being totaled and bought and cut up by someone like me. When these cars were relatively cheap, that was not the case. Wreck the car today and chances are that it will be repaired and wind up better than it was.

Ciao

Jim

Remember-- these cars because of the design are forever young where as you look at a Datsun 240Z ,it just does not hold up. Looks very dated. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

All of these pretty much look like Fido's rear end now...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Depends on the timescale ....suspect some savvy enthusiastic long term Porsche owners here probaly paid for a nice whole complete car what some sellers want for just to buy some "supposed NOS hens teeth bit n bob component or accessory" in FS ads. Enjoyed their car for decades

Timing in this market like many things is important but nice when enthusiasts with little mind for investment see a rise.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Depends on the timescale ....suspect some savvy enthusiastic long term Porsche owners here probaly paid for a nice whole complete car what some sellers want for just to buy some "supposed NOS hens teeth bit n bob component or accessory" in FS ads. Enjoyed their car for decades

Timing in this market like many things is important but nice when enthusiasts with little mind for investment see a rise.
    Grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom think of it this way. . . were it not for global liquidity inflating an asset bubble, people wouldn't be re-painting early 911s in Sepia Brown.

THAT is how you can tell we're in a hot market. . .

(repaint or no, they will never be as nice as Candyce's car. . . or its owner!)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

If you could have only one...not an easy pick.

Name:  spit.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  GTO.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  33.4 KB