Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTB: '70-'73 dashboard

Tom -

Lovely!

Clyde - a side-by-side picture session would be wonderful for this forum.

- Rob

Tom your dash looks great. Can you tell us where you got it?
    Thanks,
    Bob

My dash was sourced through Porsche over a year ago.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Grain is certainly different to the Carpoint version so must be a different dash

Carpoint is much smoother here is a pic of the one I put in my ST recreation

Mind you at the time I was very happy with the quality and fit as the options were not that great at that time

I only just noticed the speaker grille looks a bit low on one side so had better pack that up a bit I did not secure this in place with the nuts supplied thankfully
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Banned
    I understand economics and availability are top priorities but the grain of the aftermarket dashboards isn't even close to original.

Agreed Frank but that is the compromise we take on a lot of now produced parts and grain not matching is far better than cracks and warps on anything but a 100 point car

Even your wonderful new Porsche supplied dash has an incorrect speaker grille when you compare to originals so even it is still a compromise of sorts.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Hey, Clyde -

My Lakewell speaker grill has round washers/spacers on the studs. Maybe you lost one?

- Rob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post

Even your wonderful new Porsche supplied dash has an incorrect speaker grille when you compare to originals so even it is still a compromise of sorts.
    I have an excellent original speaker grill to solve that problem.

OK folks up to date info as of 1 hr ago

New Porsche dash is made of a hard plastic (no metal or foam) Made in Germany and they have 49 in stock as I got the first one of the first 50 made

In order pic taken of same area of the dash on

1. Repro dash from Lakewell/Carpoint or wherever
    2. New Porsche dash
    3. Original new in box Porsche dash from 1988

As you can see the grain on the new Porsche dash is not too bad but the vinyl used is more of a matt finish than the original all though the original is now 30 years old and may have changed colour even though it has never been installed.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Further pics of the rear of the new Porsche dash

I don't like the speaker grille fitment at all, Lakewell version looks much better in that area

Repro grille first pic
    Porsche grille 2nd pic

Next 3 pics all of the rear of the new Porsche dash

Not sure of fitment issues yet will be a few mths before I tackle that

I will however next week study all the placements of the studs to see how they match up as I know the repro dash fits perfectly and easily so if Porsche studs match up then it too will fit without issues.

Speaker held down but threaded stud with nut same as the repro

With both dashes at my disposal I think the following

If you I decide to go with "looks right at a glance" then definately the repro dash wins hands down

If you want closer to original grain then Porsche dash wins hands down but the grille is horrible!!!

Sorry still no perfect answer folks
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6