Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help on my 15" Fuchs wheels, are they from a 73 RS

Need some help on my 15" Fuchs wheels, are they from a 73 RS

Hey guys.

I resently looked into my 15"x7" and 15"x8" Fuchs wheels. I almost past out when i saw the date and year...

So my question is, do they comes from a 73mod RS?? Other 911`s that uses 15x8 at the back?

One is stamped 1/73 and part number: 911.361.020. square 12

Name:  58efb713-eeed-42aa-a17d-d1ba401d4752_zpsykzykiag.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  116.7 KB

RS spec was originally 6 and 7 (for earlier series) folks fitted wider as was becoming fashion. The original ordering dealer papers fro RS from ( date Feb IIRC ) that I have don't even specify 7 and 8 option for RS. This was a document for dealer use when completing the order and conversion order -- not a consumer marketing options list. The date stamp on your wheel may make them of interest to an RS owner but if the claim was these were actually what were bolted to an RS example when it left the factory I'd personally be doubtful. Contemporary part to RS assembled in Feb >... maybe ...actual part from an RS as it left factory is a different thing to claim to be the case, unless there is a direct trail proving that. Obviously not for GPW with red, blue or green as inside would be coloured.

As with many things suspect folks would be able to get them on RS if determined and had money at that time. Clearly 7 and d 8s found way onto RS model back in the day. There will be evidence of cars having them in 73. Possibly 7 8 began to be fitted later as the RS cars became closer to standard "production"?
    Always happy learn/ to be corrected if there is documentary evidence of 7 and 8 being offered as factory RS option for the second series that were being made at that time.

(By the way some first 500 RS have 72 wheels and M/Y stamp of the very earliest RS examples can actually predate the 73 model year and start of RS production). As these cars are older classics thesedays I personally like the look on 6 and 7 with 18570 and 215 60 CN 36 but depends on intended usage and of course is matter of personal preference

Just my tuppence worth.

GLWTS

Steve

Steve,

7/8 was an option like Cibie hood lights.

Check Konradsheim page 219 and the picture on page 123, that show Hoeneß picking up his RS at Werk with 7/8.

BR

Dirk

Interesting that 7/8 hasn't got an option no.

Double checked and there is certainly no option to fit 7/8 listed in the RS specific ordering procedure dealer document Feb 73 that states what option on Sport and Touring and what was valid combination. This is an RS specific ordering document Not TES ordering procedure

Suspect the RS option list printed in the second edition RS book is probably a compilation of the options throughout life cycle of RS model across thre series. Likley authors actually compiled it from model year 73 TES options and when RS was included in the general and price lists for those country markets that sold the RS. Rather than a copy of some RS specific option master list. I've always assumed the book is the list of all 73 model options particularly if you compare how the RS list grew from the original red green edition option list to the yellow brown edition one.

What was offered as option in 73 model year evolved like many things eg bamberg by Blaupunkt was available second week of 73 but not before even though bamberg CR was on market 1972. Would be curious to know when the evidence shows (the date vin) of first RS example known to have left factory with 7/8 as opposed to folks putting 7/8 on at dealer etc. What is the vin/ date of the car handed over to the German footballer.. Looks later in model yer given the foliage compared to the barren branches of the actor picking up car within 6/7. I have a strong suspicion that 7/8 became optional and more fashionable factory fit to RS model later in the 911744 production run but haven't anything definitive documented to prove it. My evidence is more the omission of 7/8 in earlier documents and specs etc.

To the original question. The OP wheel shows 1/73 date stamp so probably fitted 2/73 or maybe weren't supplied via factory. From the phrasing of question assume it they're not on RS today and no info on the car it is fitted to: date, model, country origins or life since suggesting where it first the 7/8 wheels that the OP hopes came off some original RS and onto his car
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-09-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Hoeneß is a former footballer and manager of Bayern München.

Ok I ll check later VIN

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Hoeneß is a former footballer and manager of Bayern München.

Ok I ll check later VIN
    Hi Dirk,
    Understood changed my post to say footballer.

Look at the background of his delivery and the actor delivery pictures, the footballer car with 7/8 and cibie appears to be a later factory delivery.

On year only 73 Model running Sept to Aug means delivery with all the foliage is probably in spring or summer in Northern Europe. You know Stuttgart seasonality better than me but likely factory delivery showing 7/8 is April May earliest given all the leaf growth. As stated although like many things there are probably exceptions I suspect 7/8 became more prevalent and more fashionable later in the RS cycle.

Might be march delivered 0791

If that is correct then so far first the known example is about halfway through the series. Be interesting to see what if any evidence emerges of RS leaving factory with 7/8 before that RS. I'm sure 7/8 were fitted at factory like this footballer's car but suspect generally speaking we will see it start/more commonly towards latter half (or even final third of production). I may be wrong but that is my theory.

Regarding the OP wheel, I don't really get interest in buying date matching wheels. If wheel/s bolted to a car are correct to model spec and allowing for supply lead time date matching then it can be neat provenance to think it likley left the factory that way. So wheels when together with. Many other such things can be a sign that the old car hasn't been messed with or badly bent and broken. With some RS wheels specifically if there is red green or blue original paint on inner side it can be a further sign of possible originality and provenance -- if that is something considered important. But to go and buy a date matching set of wheels knowing they are not the original set -- don't quite get that personally.

I do like authenticity / originality on cars and poor restoration or later not quite right reproduction parts or things not from the era can jar but to me the date stamp on wheels and similar marks other components like Bosch with codes is much more about determining what on car as it stands is likley to be original factory fit. A car with many original good parts and paint etc maybe needs a different approach to one that is already all changed and replacement bits of various vintage.

Having said that I expect someone may be attracted to these wheels for date stamp and 7/8 size and maybe if for sale even pay a premium for them but personally it is a stretch to link them to an RS when their history is unknown.

Steve

It´s known that he sold it 1974.

Here a picture, should be spring 1974.

Name:  hoeness 911RS.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  62.8 KB