Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Faure RSR 3.0 Video

Nick Faure RSR 3.0 Video

very impressive!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Nice !!!! ...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yes, perfect....Freisinger had done the resto
    https://www.freisinger-motorsport.de...tail/9974.html
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Nice to see this. Thanks for posting it Mark.

Nick is a very talented Porsche driver; not as well recognised as he should be IMO. Sometimes dubbed “Mr Porsche” here in the U.K.
    Here in action in 1974 RS owned by the U.K. concessionaire
    Name:  E1B3D3F0-4F85-49E1-8A15-E65D0C63EF0A.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  84.8 KB

Here a personal note Nick sent with his own depiction of that same 74 RS as his letterhead.

Name:  DBC525D2-F1A1-4395-B2DD-C807C0472AB1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  52.5 KB

I had bought my RS through him in early nineties hence the comment. He gave me a test drive that showed just what it can do in the Surrey lanes. I was sold. He used to borrow the same car back in the early eighties from his friend a race engineer who ran various racing teams so quaintly he still refers to the car by the private licence plate it wore at that time. providing contacts to that PO who was still his close friend as he knew I wanted to get cars continuous unbroken owner history documented while PO were around. Also in note Nick thoughtfully invited me to a track day to get pointers from him about getting best from driving an RS at the challenging Goodwood circuit. Who better to do this particularly relevant for one of the RHD RS examples than the man who won just about every round of the 73 prod-sport National championship driving the then brand new RHD M472 then 471 RS for the British importer. A championship he mentions in the video that threw him by a career lifeline when his funds from granny’s Rembrandt were exhausted.

Of the five 74 RS imported to U.K. Nick had use of the importer PCGB/AFN’s white one for 74 season to race in the modified (rather than production) sports car class. Here is the slightly teasing press announcement among my papers that picks up from the prod-sport dominance in 73 RS :
    Name:  846B0FBF-657C-4E24-ACC6-8D3B06CE300E.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  125.3 KB

As always in things like this video some details are wrong by the presenter. Maybe I’m being picky on a interesting video but such details need to be corrected on ESR. Future F1 world champion James Hunt did not have a 3.0 RS, he had a lilac 73 2.7 RHD RS one of the last of the first 500 series M472 touring that was repainted in Hesketh colours. The yellow 3.0 RS was one of six in RHD; it belonged to Lord Alexander Hesketh. Hesketh got that 74 RS to replace his 73 RS that was taken as payment for Hunt’s services as driver — let there be no doubt on this here. Lord Hesketh himself, no less, has gone on record to rather pointedly straighten out such incorrect nonsense in the U.K. National press so it is a pity the presenter doesn’t get this fact correct .

Nick wasn’t a full time racer he also worked at times as a commercial artist. We recently figured out that in one of those small-world coincidences he did the windscreen promotional sticker graphical art-work for the now defunct approved U.K. dealer who sold my car when brand new in 1972/3. At the time I sent him a bunch of his line drawings from 73 I had in my files that he no longer had. Still in touch with Nick albeit been harder to meet during COVID; our last planned catchup with him and a different PO of my car who has also raced (another talent who pipped Nick’s second in Class by winning his class) at Le Mans was canned at eleventh hour by the COVID-19 restrictions imposed in the U.K.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-18-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Can’t beat that ownership history!!

Although Nick and the presenter mentions the two M471 Sports in his video his recap omits to mention that until they arrived he won using this RHD M472 touring press demonstrator an early first series RHD RS complete with Radiomobile 8 track radio, electric antenna and just the necessary safety changes to race — cutoff , roll-cage etc
    Name:  10787791-ED2A-44AF-A7C4-636B63A2995F.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  163.0 KB

Sadly the 73 RS M471 that Nick used to achieve (most but not all) wins of the the prod-sports championship was written off later on the Westway in London so it was re-shelled body and features as used in late RS series . Nick has said this car was never as good thereafter compared to its original form for various reasons — mainly the fault of revised later rear suspension that was put on to benefit the few M491 track cars with their wide sticky racing tyres but was not as good in his experience.
    Name:  39700FF3-EDD5-4A20-AC6C-EB1428C65A6A.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  60.8 KB
    Can’t argue with Nick’s firsthand experience of driving the RS(R) s of most variations in period at competitive level in national and international races. Based on that experience Nick was the only person the importer permitted to do demo drives of the 911 turbo in when it was first launched around 1975.

Nice to see Nick story get told and to hear about this particular 3.0 RSR that is the main feature in the video.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-18-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Great “vintage” footage !!
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Enjoyed this...
    .....a very special car currently being refreshed/restored quite close to me. I hope to see it soon.

Last of the early cars imo and as special as any......an RS with RSR spec engine would be my choice!

Great video....thx for sharing.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V