Thread: Trying to identify these Sealed Beam internal retaining rings

Trying to identify these Sealed Beam internal retaining rings

Hi, been trying to confirm the origins of these retaining/adjuster rings that were holding the 7" sealed beam headlight units in 2 '68 Euro cars. The larger grey ring acted as a holder that the pivot and adjuster screws went into, with the smaller chrome ring mounted behind to support the retaining clips. They were assembled into Euro style early headlight buckets in place of the correct open dome reflector. Checking against PET, the only part that looks similar to the grey ring is item 24 in the attached, but it describes this as a chrome rim, and it is fitted in a sugar-scoop unit, not in a Euro-Style bucket. Checking it visually against other parts, they look very similar to a VW Type 1 US retaining rim parts.

I've restored the headlights to their original spec now, so these are surplus to requirements, but curious to know of their origins. Have VW retainers been fitted into Euro buckets to hold US sealed beams, or are they an early version of the US sealed beam retainer?

Many thanks,

Mike.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com

# 2991
    You need to look at an older parts diagram. My diagram does not have part numbers, but the ring is shown.
    From what I know the rings on the US 356 and US ‘65-‘68 ? 911 use the same rings as the VW, main difference on the VW was the provision for the park/marker light.

Name:  F8438147-D3D2-49CC-ABBF-860963B2D0D2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  105.3 KB

Thanks, that's a real help. So, I'm looking at the 4th exploded view down on your parts diagram. In the middle of the assy, there's a view of the bucket, un-numbered and with what looks like the ring already fitted in. If this is what you are referring to, thanks, this solves the mystery, and I can assume that for US 356 and SWB cars, this ring was used to hold sealed beam units in similar bucket assemblies to the Euro version (but with a clear SB 19 20 21 lens).

Interesting there's no part number for it on the diagram though. Can you still get these rings as a VW part in the US (perhaps only as an assy with the parking light in the bucket) or are they NLA?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You can download the whole Adobe .pdf format parts catalog from Porsche Classic https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/ but I couldn't find parts numbers for those rings. I couldn't find them in hardcopy parts books, either.

I did find 111.941.163.A Lock ring - Sealed Beam Unit in a hardcopy VW split-windshield microbus parts catalog.

You can get complete glass-covered sealed-beam headlight units from Wolfsbürg West or JBugs.

By the way, some--but not all--356s do have the "parking light" inside the headlight unit. I've long suspected that you can mix-and-match VW and Porsche headlight parts but there are some odd headlights out there.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I have the parts catalogue, but it has been helpful to have some feedback that supports my assumption that the rings I had could be both correct US SWB sealed beam parts, and yet not actually listed with a part number reference. it was the lack of a separate part number that threw me a bit. Appreciate your help on this.

As mentioned in the OP, they are surplus to my requirements now I've converted the headlights back to Euro spec, so I'll probably place an ad for them in case anyone could use them.

Many thanks again,

Mike.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You might want to advertise these at The Samba and catch the VW market, too.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    You might want to advertise these at The Samba and catch the VW market, too.
    Good point, Jim, thanks.