Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: NOS Girling 16-4 calipers

Armando

Uber cool! Leave it to you and Eric to put a little shoulder into this. And think, you could have your very own set!

I would also be up for an interesting trades.

Well actually , Im a bit confused ??
    Are these for sale ??
    Mark

My NOS set are. Along with a fair amount of oggling of Armando’s and Jeff’s examples

I miss good threads like this...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Gene. What does NOS mean to you ??
    In your photos,, your drilled hex bolts do not look like what I thought nos meant.
    That aside these are very cool but Im still confused.
    Can you post pics of the NOS callipers or are the photos posted accurate to what you are selling.
    Mark

I think NOS means New Old Stock. Old but never used. Only been there a handful of times, but same as in Kiwi/Southern Hemisphere as Northern?

Drilled bolts are just how god and man made them. If you are interested in BTH (better than new) I will refer you to Herr Shea’s post.

Hoping more Illuminati will post pictures of these in place?

Quote Originally Posted by geneulm View Post
    I think NOS means New Old Stock. Old but never used. Only been there a handful of times, but same as in Kiwi/Southern Hemisphere as Northern?

Drilled bolts are just how god and man made them. If you are interested in BTH (better than new) I will refer you to Herr Shea’s post.
    Some came with and some came without. I have a complete set of these NOS Girlings, with original pads. They "do not" have the drilled fasteners. Most of the others we've restored "do" have the drilled fasteners with the head turned down.

Also, the calipers listed as ATE in those pics (with the exception of the calipers on the far left) are actually Brembo. If you look through the fins, you'll basically see the outline of these Girlings. If you can imagine shaving those fins down... you have our infamous 930 caliper.

We have a set of these "and" a set of those RSR/917 calipers in-house at this time. I'll attempt to populate the thread.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

But to clarify which calipers were used by the 917....
    At the time the 917 was under development and during its active racing period, the brake supplier to Porsche was ATE. Brembo became a Porsche supplier a few years later. See links below...

ATE HISTORY and TIMELINE

1972 - The Teves plant in Rheinböllen supplies high-performance ATE four-piston fixed-calliper brakes for the Ferrari 365 GTB road model and for the Porsche 911 S. Successful in-house development – the first booster developed wholly in house by the company. The ATE T52 vacuum booster goes into volume production in 1972 and the production figures have remained impressive to this day.
    1960 - ATE takes over the manufacture of disc brakes in its Frankfurt factory under licence from Dunlop. The Ford 17M, nicknamed the “bathtub”, was a big seller in the 1960s. It was supplied with ATE Dunlop disc brakes for a surcharge of 150 marks.

BREMBO HISTORY and TIMELINE

Brembo was established in Bergamo, Italy in 1961. Soon after the company was formed, it specialized in disc brakes, which were imported from the UK at the time. The company entered into a supply contract with Alfa Romeoin 1964. It became the supplier of brake components to Moto Guzzi in 1966. In the 1980s, Brembo began supplying BMW, Chrysler, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, and Porsche with brakes. The company went public on the Milan Stock Exchange in 1995.

In John Horsman's book, "Racing in the Rain" which details his years with JW Racing, he spoke of being offered new brakes by the Porsche factory for the JW 917s. He turned them down as he didn't think anything was wrong with the Girlings they were running which had proved very reliable. He was pretty angry when they then showed up on the Piech cars (JW was supposed to be the ONLY factory team).

Must have been talking about what were to become Brembos?