Thread: 1968 911S Salvage car in LWB tub value

1968 911S Salvage car in LWB tub value

I'm trying to get an idea of what I have here. It is titled as a 1968 911S with a matching numbers engine but years ago it was involved in a major accident that destroyed the tub. The owners at that time bought another tub and switched over the VIN, drivetrain, interior, the title was changed to salvage at the time to reflect the accident damage and repair. When I got the vehicle I noticed right away the 68S SWB was swapped into a 69-70 LWB tub which really bothers me. What would you do if you were in my position? Part it out? Rebuild it with the LWB tub? or get a swb tub and do the swap again. In any case the salvage title and history will stay with the 911 and be fully disclosed.

You advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.
    My Vehicles:
    1972 911T
    1990 964
    1993 928GTS
    1981 Turbo Lotus Esprit
    1981 Fiat X1/9
    1984 Nissan 300zx Turbo AE

Derk,

I am not an expert. My vote, and feelings, would be to find a SWB tub. At the end of the day, what do you want to do with the final product? Drive and enjoy for years to come, or sell for profit, or loss avoidance? I think a driving SWB Vehicle will have a lot more value, even with a Salvage Title.

Not exactly sure ‘how’ they could, legally, switch over the VIN??? I hope you’re not too deep into this thing. As stated above, what’s your intention? You “probably” and hopefully can get more by parting it than throwing good $$$$ after bad by doing another swap or putting money into what you have. It’ll always be a bastard, BUT it can be fun and enjoyable w/o worrying over the “value”. If it’s running and not too bad, enjoy it. BTW it is an ROW car as the S wasn’t factory imported into the states in ‘68, assuming you’re in the US? Kind of a rare bird especially if all the other parts are in fact ‘68. Good luck and welcome to the S. You’ll find we’re not too opinionated around here

Isn't tampering with VIN's illegal?

The car will never be matching numbers again, so finding an swb shell to put the 68S engine and bits into it would probably be your best solution. You'll have an swb car in S spec with clean, but non-matching numbers.

The 68S is a great engine. The early alu block ones are supposedly stronger. What production number is it?

Interesting. I'd think what has been mentioned here is good guidance... Parting it, finding a suitable home for the engine, etc. Having a 68S, I can tell you parts are few and far between, so you wouldn't have trouble selling if decent. OR build a proper 68S and sell the LWB tub. The two together don't make as much sense IMHO.

I am also curious of the VIN, as changes occurred throughout the 68 production.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the the issue of the VIN being swapped differs by jurisdiction. As far as I can tell there was no attempt to hide the VIN swap and the title was clearly branded salvage at the time as well. Keep in mind the accident and swap took place over 30 years ago at a time the 911 wasn't considered as rare as it is today.

I bought the vehicle as a parts lot so I'm not too deep into it but deep enough I think I will rebuild it with the current tub for my personal use... if I come across a 68 tub I will defiantly consider using it for my drive train.
    My Vehicles:
    1972 911T
    1990 964
    1993 928GTS
    1981 Turbo Lotus Esprit
    1981 Fiat X1/9

the VIN is 11800890
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Vehicles:
    1972 911T
    1990 964
    1993 928GTS
    1981 Turbo Lotus Esprit
    1981 Fiat X1/9

since it is already branded, find a SWB 912 tub (without a vin?) and melt it into one. At least you are rebranding it into a correct tub? Not sure that is legal, but the car is butchered already.

~J~
    air cooled only

Surprised to hear the suggestion to do exactly the thing we all cry foul over. Doing yet another VIN swap on this car and thereby making it more correct just hides it's history under another layer. You can be sure some dealer down the road will take full advantage of that fact, I've seen even the most respected auction houses and dealers wax poetically about a mutt car..

I say leave it as a LWB, that way it will always be clear what's going on.